Introduction: Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women. Mastectomy is the common treatment modality of breast cancer in which partial or full affected breast is removed to prevent further spread of cancer. External breast prosthesis is used to replace the natural breast after a complete mastectomy. The study aimed at assessing the effect of structured teaching program regarding the use of breast prosthesis on knowledge of post mastectomy women. Methods: A quantitative approach with one group pretest post test pre-experimental research design was adopted. The sample consisted of 30 post mastectomy women selected by purposive sampling. Knowledge questionnaire was administered using interview technique. Structured teaching program on breast prosthesis was given for 45 minutes. Various aspects breast prosthesis was included in the teaching program. Post test was done after one week with the same knowledge questionnaire. Results: The mean post test knowledge score (16.5±5) was significantly higher than the mean pretest knowledge score (10.5±3.5). The calculated ‘t’ value (2.09) was higher than the table value at 0.05 level of significance. Conclusion: These results support that, the structured teaching program was effective in improving the knowledge of post mastectomy patients regarding external breast prosthesis.
Cite this article:
Sheeba Chellappan. Breast Prosthesis Education: Outcome on Knowledge among Post Mastectomy Women. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(3): 265-268. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00056.7
Sheeba Chellappan. Breast Prosthesis Education: Outcome on Knowledge among Post Mastectomy Women. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(3): 265-268. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00056.7 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-3-4
1. Bellanger M et al(2018). Are global breast cancer incidence and mortality pattern related to country: A specific economic development and prevention strategies?. American Society of Clinical Oncology Journal. Vol 6. Issue 7.
2. Fitch M.I etal (2012). Perspectives of women about external breast prosthesis. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal. Vol 22. No.3.
3. Gallagher et al (2009). External breast prosthesis in post- mastectomy care: Women qualitative accounts. European Journal of Cancer. Vol 19. No.1
4. Hojan K et al (2015). The impact of external breast prosthesis on the posture of post mastectomy women. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Vol 8. No 2.
5. Jetha Z.A et al (2017) Women experience of using external breast prosthesis after mastectomy. Asio-Pasific Journal of Oncology Nursing. Vol 4. Issue 3.