The fiery role played by nurses as frontline warrior in the fight against Covid-19 is commendable. At times of high demand of health manpower to manage patients affected by Covis-19 pandemic nurses are coming forward willingly to work tirelessly for long, uncertain shifts. The experience of working in an isolation unit could be physically, emotionally and psychologically draining for nurses. Although healthcare workers tried to fight back the disease in a short spell of time but nurses are facing issues regarding management, work environment, family cross infection, self-infection risk, assault, emotional & physical drain and psychological stress. These issues need to be addressed to keep nurses morale up. Training to work in isolation unit is the need of the hour keeping in mind, they also may be victim of psychological exhaustion. online platforms could be easier and mass approach to deal with psychological issues among nurses working as frontline warriors.
Cite this article:
Atul Sharma, Keerthi Mohanan. Obstacles Faced by Nurses working in Covid-19 Unit: A Developing Country view Point. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):459-462. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00098.1
1. COVID -19 Outbreak, Guidelines for Setting up Isolation Facility/Ward. National Centre for Disease Control [Internet]. Available from: https://ncdc.gov.in/WriteReadData/l892s/ 42417646181584529159.pdf
2. Liu Q, Luo D, Haase JE, Guo Q, Wang XQ, Liu S, Xia L, Liu Z, Yang J, Yang BX. The experiences of health-care providers during the COVID-19 crisis in China: a qualitative study. The Lancet Global Health. 2020 Apr 29.
3. Godderis L, Boone A, Bakusic J. COVID-19: a new work-related disease threatening healthcare workers. Occupational Medicine (Oxford, England). 2020 May 2.
4. Ehrlich H, McKenney M, Elkbuli A. Protecting our healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2020 Apr 17.
5. Sun N, Shi S, Jiao D, Song R, Ma L, Wang H, Wang C, Wang Z, You Y, Liu S, Wang H. A qualitative study on the psychological experience of caregivers of COVID-19 patients. American Journal of Infection Control. 2020 Apr 8.
6. Chen X, Tian J, Li G, Li G. Initiation of a new infection control system for the COVID-19 outbreak. The Lancet. Infectious Diseases. 2020 Apr;20(4):397.
7. Jafri A A. medical staff, nurses in lucknow’s balrampur hospital demand 14 day quarantine [Internet]. 2020 Apr 09 [cited on 18 May 2020]. Available from: https://www.newsclick.in/medical-staff-nurses-lucknows-balrampur-hospital-demand-14-day-quarantine
8. NSA slapped against quarantined Tablighi Jamaat members who harassed nurses in Ghaziabad [Internet]. 2020April03[cited on 29 may 2020]. Available from: https://theprint.in/india/nsa-slapped-against-quarantined-tablighi-jamaat-members-who-harassed-nurses-in-ghaziabad/394708/
9. Chen X, Tian J, Li G, Li G. Initiation of a new infection control system for the COVID-19 outbreak. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020. PMID: 32085850. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30110-9. [Epub ahead of print].
10. Huang L, Lin G, Tang L, Yu L, Zhou Z. Special attention to nurses’ protection during the COVID-19 epidemic. 2020. 1-3
11. Reference Guide for Converting Hospitals into Dedicated COVID Hospitals [Internet]. [cited on 30 May 2020.Available from: https://dhs.kerala.gov.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/How-to-convert-Hospital-into-COVID-Hospital.final-pdf
12. Suen LK, Guo YP, Tong DW, Leung PH, Lung D, Ng MS, Lai TK, Lo KY, Au-Yeung CH, Yu W. Self-contamination during doffing of personal protective equipment by healthcare workers to prevent Ebola transmission. Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control. 2018 Dec 1;7(1):157.
13. Government of India Ministry of Home Affairs [Internet].[cited on 14 May 2020].Available from: https://www.mha.gov.in/sites/ default/files/MHAOrderextension_1752020_0.pdf
14. Selikowitz A. Mental health challenges for healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic – Impact and management strategies [Internet]. [cited on 23 May 2020]. Available from: https://psychscenehub.com/psychinsights/mental-health-challenges-healthcare-workers-during-covid-19-pandemic-management-strategies/
15. Guidance for General Medical and Specialised Mental Health Care Settings [Internet]. NIMHANS. [cited on 09Jun2020]. Available from:https://nimhans.ac.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Mental Health Issues COVID-19NIMHANS.pdf
16. Katie Pearce. In fight against covid-19, nurses face high-stakes decisions, moral distress [Internet]. [cited on 06 Jun2020]. Available from: https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/04/06/covid-nursing-cynda-rushton-qa/
17. Psychosocial support and mental health services helpline [Internet]. [cited on 04Jun2020]. Available from: http://nimhans.ac.in/pssmhs-helpline/
18. Measures undertaken to ensure safety of health workers drafted for COVID-19 services. Ministry of health and family welfare. [Internet]. [cited on 06 Jun2020]. Available from: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/MeasuresUndertakenToEnsureSafetyOfHealthWorkersDraftedForCOVID19Services.pdf
19. Dial 104 – National Helpline dedicated for COVID 19 [Internet]. [cited on 06 Jun2020]. Available from: https://ehealth. eletsonline.com/2020/03/dial-104-national-helpline-dedicated-for-covid-19/
20. Yash Ved, Mumbai, Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 08:00 Hrs [IST]. IMA launches psycho-social counseling helpline for doctors and healthcare workers for COVID-19 treatment [Internet]. [cited on 06 Jun2020]. Available from: http://www.pharmabiz.com/News Details.aspx?aid=122421&sid=1
21. Covid 19 – free counseling – pan india [Internet]. [cited on 08 Jun2020]. Available from: http://www.mastermindfoundation. com/