Statement of the Problem: A study to assess the effectiveness of mindfulness meditation techniques on stress among the clients with substance abuse in FfIRE – Jeevodhaya De Addiction cum Rehabilitation Centre, Coimbatore. Objectives of the Study: a) To assess the level of stress among clients with substance abuse. B) To administer mindfulness meditation techniques among clients with substance abuse. C) To evaluate the effectiveness of mindfulness meditation techniques on stress among clients with substance abuse. D) To find out the association between the selected demographic variables with the post-test stress score of clients with substance abuse. Methodology: one group pre-testpost-test experimental group design. The samples for this study consist of 30 clients with substance abuse selected by probability simple random sampling subtype lottery method. Modified DASS stress assessment scale was used to assess the level of stress among clients with substance abuse before and after practicing mindfulness meditation techniques. Result: 30 samples were enrolled in this study. The descriptive and inferential statistics were used to analyse the value. The calculated ‘t’ value (10.29) for the group regarding the effectiveness of mindfulness meditation techniques on stress was higher than the table value. Conclusion: The intervention provided shows significant reduction in stress level among the clients with substance abuse with stress. The post-test shows that decreased stress level among the group.
Cite this article:
T. Venkateshwaran. A Study to assess the effectiveness of Mindfulness Meditation Techniques on stress among the clients with substance abuse in fire – Jeevodhaya de Addiction cum Rehabilitation Centre, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1):105-106. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00027.6
1. Bhatia, (2004). Psychiatric Nursing Comprehensive Theoretical and Practical Approach. (3rd Edition). Satish Kumar CBS Publishers.
2. Lalitha, K. (2009). Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing and Indian Perspective. (1st Edition). VMG Book House Publication.
3. Sreevani, R (2010). A Guide to Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing. (3rd Edition). New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers.
4. Townsend, M.C. (2010). Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing concepts of care in evidenced based practice. (5th edition). Philadelphia: FA Davis Company Publication.
5. Drug Abuse in India.www.azadindia.org/socialissues/drug-abuse-in-India. Drug Abuse in India www.azad india.org Social Issues. www.nida.com. Meditation Techniques Retrieved from www.huffingtonpost.com. Mindfulness Meditation Retrieved from www.psychologytoday.com