Senthilkumar T, Tamilselvi A
Mr. Senthilkumar T1, Prof (Dr) Tamilselvi A2
1PhD Scholar, Amity College of Nursing, Amity University, Gurugram, Haryana.
2Principal, Amity College of Nursing, Amity University, Gurugram, Haryana.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
This systematic review of literature was examined the available published literature in order to obtain a more comprehensive assessment of the risk factors of Cardiovascular Disease (CVDs) among adolescent. Studies that examined the prevalence, lipid profiles, lifestyle factors, Physical activities, Dietary pattern and Anthropometrics among adolescence were suitable for inclusion. Following sources were searched like PUBMED, MEDLINE, CINAHL, GOOGLE SCHOLAR and hand searches of relevant journal. There were 24 abstracts initially identified, of which 12 appeared to meet the criteria. The full text of this papers was examined. Overall, most of the studies of the children and adolescent has proved presence of modifiable risk factors for Cardiovascular Diseases. A multitude of risk factors contributed to the adolescent’s cardiovascular disease includes insufficient physical activity, diet pattern, body weight and BMI, smoking, alcohol intake, comorbidities, excess body fat and lipid profiles. However, studies lack the uniformity and consistency required to estimate the risk factors uniformity around the globe for prediction of CVD risk among adolescent. However, Effective public health intervention is suggested to improve cardiovascular health in children and adolescents to reduce further cardiovascular risk.
Cite this article:
Senthilkumar T, Tamilselvi A. Risk factors of Cardiovascular Disease in Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1):151-156. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00039.2
Senthilkumar T, Tamilselvi A. Risk factors of Cardiovascular Disease in Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1):151-156. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00039.2 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-1-39
1. Adolescent care, Counseling and Support: MKC Nair and Paul Russell, Child Development Centre Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, 2019.
2. Gupta A, Sarkar G, Das P, Shahnawaz K and Pal R,” Prevalence of lifestyle associated cardiovascular risk factors among adolescent students of Rural Bengal” Journal of integrated health sciences, Vol.1, Issue 2, 2013.
3. Guthold R, Stevens G, Riley LM and Bull Fc” Global trends in insufficient physical activity among adolescents: a pooled analysis of 298 population-based surveys with 1.6 million participants” THE LANCET Child and Adolescent Health, Vol.4, Issue.1, January 2020.
4. Yan Y, Liu J, Zhao X, Cheng H, Huang G, Hou D and Mi J,” Cardiovascular health in urban Chinese children and adolescents” Annals of Medicine, 2019 Feb; 51 (1).
5. Lee JS and Song YH” Relationship between waist circumference and cardiovascular risk factors in Adolescents” The Korean Society of Cardiology, Vol.50, April 2020.
6. Sindhu GS, Jamuna N and Ram Gopal CN,” Exploration of the factors influencing health risk behaviors among school adolescents: A mixed method approach” TNNMC JPN Vol VIII, Issue 1, Jan-Jun 2020.
7. Pedro Paulo do Prado Junior, Franciane Rocha de Faria, Eliane Rodrigues de Faria, Sylvia do Carmo Castro Franceschini and Silvia Eloiza Priore,” Cardiovascular risk and associated factors in adolescents” Journal of Nutrition Hospital, 2015; 32.
8. Christina C Dahm, Andrea K Chomistek, Marianne Uhre Jakobsen, Kenneth J Mukamal, A Heather Eliassen, Howard D Sesso, Kim Overvad, Walter C Willett, Eric B Rimm and Stephanie E Chiuve,” Adolescent diet and CVD risk factor in adulthood”, Journal of American Heart Association, DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.116.003583.
9. Mustafa N, Abd Majid H, Toumpakari Z, Carroll HA, Yazid Jalaludin M, Al Sadat N and Johnson L,” The association of breakfast frequency and cardiovascular disease risk factors among adolescents in Malaysia” Journal of nutrients, 2019 Apr 28;11(5).
10. Rodriguez and associates “Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors in U.S. children and adolescents with Diabetes” Journal of diabetic care, Vol,29No.8, August 2006.
11. Jardim T.V and associates” Multiple cardiovascular risk factors in adolescents from a middle-income country: Prevalence and associated factors” Journal of PLOS one, 2018; 13(7).
12. Ekta G, Tulika MG,” Risk factor distribution for cardiovascular diseases among high school boys and girls of urban Dibrugarh, Assam”, Journal of Family medicine and Primary care 2016;5.
13. Clark CJ, Alonso A, Spencer RA, Pencina M, Williams K and Everson-Rose SA” Predict long term cardiovascular risk among youth adults in the National longitudinal study of Adolescent Heath” American Journal of Public Health, 2014 December; 104(12).