Schizophrenia is a chronic mental illness. Considering the nature of illness along with routine care, different supportive psycho therapies are recommended. Psycho education is the process of imparting education and information to those seeking or receiving mental health services, such as people diagnosed with mental health conditions and their caregivers. Psycho education is an evidence-based therapeutic intervention for patients and support to better understand and cope with illness. Psycho educational approach has been developed to increase patients' as well as their caregivers' knowledge and insight into their illness. It is postulated that this increased knowledge and insight will enable people with schizophrenia and their caregivers to cope in a more effective way with the consequences of their illness, thereby improving their health.
Cite this article:
Kallabi Borah. Effects of Psycho Education on Caregivers of People with a Diagnosis of Schizophrenia. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(2):231-235. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00055.0
Kallabi Borah. Effects of Psycho Education on Caregivers of People with a Diagnosis of Schizophrenia. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(2):231-235. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00055.0 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-2-15
1. Bauml J, Frobose T, Kraemer S, Rentrop M, Gabriele PW. Psychoeducation: A basic psychotherapeutic intervention for patients with schizophrenia and their families. Schizophrenia bulletin. 2006 Oct; 32(1): 51-9. Available from https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbl017.
2. Ozkan B, Erdem E, Ozsoy SD, Zarasiz G. Effect of psychoeducation and telepsychiatric follow up given to the caregiver of the schizophrenic patient on family buden, depression and expression of emotion. Pub J Med Sci. 2013 Sep-Oct ; 29 (5): 1122-7.
3. Sharif F , Shaygan M, Mani A. Effect of a psycho-educational intervention for family members on caregiver burdens and psychiatric symptoms in patient with schizophrenia in Shiraz, Iran BMC Psychiatry. (2012); 12(48). Available from https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-12-48.
4. Xia J, Merinder LB. Psycho education for schizophrenia. Cochrane Schizophrenia Group. Available from https://www.ncbi.nlm.gov.
5. Bulut m, Arslantag H, Dereboy IF. Effects of psycho education given to caregivers of people with a diagnosis of schizophreni. Issues in mental health nursing. 2016 Nov; 37(11): 800-10.
6. Verma PK, Walia TS, Chaudhury S, Srivastav S. Family psycho education with caregivers of schizophrenia patients : impct on perceived quality of life. Industrial psychiatric journal. 2019; 28 (1): 19-23.
7. Cohen AN, Glynn SM , Murray AB, Fischer EP et al. The family forum: directions for the implementation of family psycho education for severe mental illness. Psychiatry Serv. 2008; 59(1): 40-48.
8. Holmes H, Ziembe J, Evans T, Williams CA. Nursing model of psycho education for the seriously mentally ill patient. Issues in mental health nurs.1994; 15 (1): 85-104.
9. S Mc Williams et al. Schizophrenia: a five- year follow up of patient outcome following psycho- education for caregivers. Eur psychiatry. 2012 Jan.
10. Josephine Gracia Britto, Ramachandra. Relapse Prevention among Caregivers of Patients with Schizophrenia. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 4(1): Jan.-March 2014; Page 140-144.
11. Nirmala V., G. Madavi latha. Assess Burden, Social Support, and Family Wellbeing among Caregivers of Mentally Ill Patients at Institute of Mental Health, Erragadda, Hyderabad, and Andhra Pradesh. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 64-67.
12. N. Balasubramanian, Asha P Shetty, T. S. Sathyanaraya Rao. An Evaluative Study of Video Assisted Teaching Module (VATM) on Homecare of Schizophrenic Patients developed for Primary Caregivers at Mangaluru. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 53-60. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00012.
13. Leena Sharma. A Descriptive Co-relational study on Burden, Social Support and Family Wellbeing among Caregivers of Mentally Ill Patients in Mansik Aarogayashala , Gwalior (M.P.). Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 228-230. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00047.7.
14. Steffy Sam, Santhi Appavu, Sheeba Chellappan. Effect of counselling on burden and coping among caregivers of cancer patients with Terminal illness. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2019; 9(3):331-336. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2019.00071.5.
15. Ruchika Duggal Choudhary, Dr. Koushal Dave. Effectiveness of Comprehensive Educational Intervention on Stress and Coping among Caregivers of Hospitalized Psychiatric Patients. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2020; 8(2):226-230. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2020.00049.6
16. LijiJiju Chacko, Alka Pawar, Suresh, David, Sushant, Darshan, Yojana, Shweta, Ashwini. Assessment of Burden among Caregivers of Mentally Ill Patients in Psychiatric Hospital. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2018; 6(4):371-373. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2018.00090.X
17. A. Sahaya Vivitha. A Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Expressed Emotions and Knowledge regarding Relapse Prevention among Caregivers of Patients with Schizophrenia in a Selected Hospital, Salem. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 5(1): 01-05. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2017.00001.1.
18. Aarthi Kumari, Karobi Das. Effectiveness of ‘Psychological Intervention’ in reduction of stress in caregivers of the patients admitted in selected ICU’s. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(3): July- Sept.2015; Page 337-340. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2015.00069.5
19. Maryam Heydari, Farideh Razban, Tayebeh Mirzaei, Shahin Heidari. The Effect of Problem Oriented Coping Strategies Training on Quality of Life of Family Caregivers of Elderly with Alzheimer. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 168-172. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00034.9