Mamta Choudhary, L. Gopichandran
Mamta Choudhary1*, Dr. L. Gopichandran2
1Tutor, College of Nursing, AIIMS, New Delhi.
2Associate Professor, College of Nursing, AIIMS, New Delhi.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2021
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), a highly infectious disease, is currently affecting whole of globe with no region untouched. This Public health emergency is one of the leading causes of mortality in many of the regions of the world. Although many patients are recovering from this illness, the concern regarding Post COVID-19 complications still prevails. Various follow up studies have reported Lung fibrosis, ARDS, cardiovascular diseases, neurological and neuropsychiatric complications, multiorgan damage, and gastrointestinal complications among recovered COVID-19 patients. Thus, this evidence-based review was done focussing on published articles from the Medline, CINAHL, Social Sciences Citation Index, Psych INFO, a hand search through selected published journals and from references lists. This article provides information regarding complications experienced by recovered COVID-19 patients after being discharged from hospital, affecting their quality of life.
Cite this article:
Mamta Choudhary, L. Gopichandran. Post Covid-19 Complications: A New Dimension of Awareness for Healthcare Workers. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(4):455-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00110
Mamta Choudhary, L. Gopichandran. Post Covid-19 Complications: A New Dimension of Awareness for Healthcare Workers. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(4):455-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00110 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-4-2
1. WHO. WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) dashboard. [cited 2021 April 8th]. Available from: https://covid19.who.int/
2. Coronavirus India. The Hindu. [cited 2021 April 6th] Available from: https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/coronavirus-india- lockdown-september-4-2020-live-updates/article32520066.ece
3. Esakandari H, Nabi-Afjadi M. A comprehensive review of COVID_19 characteristics. Bio Proced online. 2020; 22:19
4. CDC. Symptoms of coronavirus. 2020 [cited 2021 March 24]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019- ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
5. Naresh B.V. A review of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-
19) pandemic. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical research. 2020; 10(3): 233-238
6. Rokade M. Khandagale P. Coronavirus Disease: A Review of a New Threat to Public Health. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(3): 241-244.
7. Choudhary M, Sharma K, Sodhi JK. Knowledge Regarding Preventive Measures of Coronary Artery Disease among Patient Attending out Patient Departments of Selected Hospital of Ludhiana City. International Journal of Healthcare Sciences. 2014; 2 (1): 60-63.
8. Varatharaj A, Thomas N. et al. Neurologic and neuropsychiatric complications of COVID-19 in 153 patients: a UK-wide surveillance study. The Lancet Psychiatry. 2020 [cited 2020 December 29]. Available from: https://guides.library.uq.edu.au/referencing/vancouver/journals. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30287-X
9. Carfi A, Bernabei R. et al. Persistent symptoms in patients after acute COVID-19. JAMA. 2020; 324(6): 603-5
10. Li B, Yang J, Zhao F, Zhi L, Wang X, Liu L, Bi Z, Zhao Y. Prevalence and impact of cardiovascular metabolic diseases on COVID-19 in China. Clin Res Cardiol. 2020; 109(5): 531–8.
11. Jiang D.A., McCoy R.G. Planning for the POST-COVID Syndrome: how can mitigate long term complications of the pandemic. J Gen Intern Med. 2020; 22: 1-4.
12. Choudhary M, Kurien N. Predatory journals: A threat to evidence- based science. Indian J Health Sci Biomed Res 2019; 12: 12-4.
13. NHS England. Aftercare needs of inpatients recovering from COVID-19. Jun 2020. [cited 2020 May 24]. Available from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/publication/after-care- needs-of-inpatients-recovering-from-covid-19/
14. Weerahandi H. Hochman K.A. Post discharge health status and symptoms in patients with severe COVID-19. medRxiv. 2020. [cited 2021 March 24]; Available from: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.11.20172742v1
. doi: 10.1101/2020.08.11.20172742
15. Ranard L.S, Fried J.A. et al. Approach to acute cardiovascular Complications in COVID-19. Circulation: Heart failure. 2020: 13(7); [cited 2021 february 22]. Available from: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE. 120.007220. doi:
16. Tortorici MA, Veesler D. Structural insights into coronavirus entry. Adv Virus Res. 2019; 105: 93–116.
17. Xia S, Zhu Y, Liu M, Lan Q, Xu W, Wu Y, et al. Fusion mechanism of 2019-nCoV and fusion inhibitors targeting HR1 domain in spike protein. Cell Mol Immunol. 2020 [cited 2021 January 03]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7075278/. doi: 10.1038/s41423-020-0374-2
18. Shi S, Qin M, Shen B, et al. Association of cardiac injury with mortality in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China. JAMA Cardiol. 2020 [cited 2021 March 30]. Available from: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/27635 24. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2020.0950
19. Troyer E.A. Kohn J.N. are we facing a crashing wave of neuropsychiatric sequelae of COVID-19? Neuropsychiatric symptoms and potential immunologic mechanism. Brain Behav Immun. 2020; 87: 34-39
20. Webb S, Wallace VC, Martin-Lopez D, et al Guillain-Barré syndrome following COVID-19: a newly emerging post-infectious complication. BMJ Case Reports CP: 2020;13: e236182.
21. Varatharaj A. Thomas N. et al. neurologic and neuropsychiatric complications of COVID-19 in 153 patients: a UK-wide surveillance study. The Lancet Psychiatry. 2020 [cited 2021 Februry 14]. Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215- 0366(20)30287-X/fulltext. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215- 0366(20)30287-X
22. Ungaro RC, Sullivan T, Colombel JF, Patel G. What gastroenterologists and patients should know about COVID-19? Clin.Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2020 [cited 2020 December 18]. Available from:
23. Gu J, Han B, Wang J. COVID-19: Gastrointestinal manifestations and potential fecal-oral transmission. Gastroenterology. 2020; 158(6): 1518–1519
24. Kaafarani H.M.A Moheb M.El. Gastrointestinal Complications in critically ill patients with COVID-19. Ann Surg. 2020:617-643. 2020 [cited 2021 January 18]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7268843/.doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000004004
25. Sta, HJ. Stucki G. et al. Covid-19 and Post Intensive Care Syndrome: A Call for Action. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020; 50 (4): 1-4
26. Jaffri A. Jaffri U.A. Post-intensive care syndrome and COVID-19: crisis after acris. HEART Lung. 2020 [cited 2020 July 02]. Available from:
27. World Health Organisation. Clinical management of severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) when COVID-19 disease is suspected. [cited 2020 December 12]. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/clinical- management-of-novel-cov.pdf