Smitha Jose, Manjima M J, Nidhi Alex, Santy M Thampi
Smitha Jose1, Manjima M J2, Nidhi Alex3, Santy M Thampi4
1Associate Professor, Department of OBG, TMM College of Nursing, Tiruvalla.
2Lecturer, Department of OBG, TMM College of Nursing, Tiruvalla.
3Professor, Department of Community Health Nursing, TMM College of Nursing, Tiruvalla.
4Clinical Instructor, TMM College of Nursing, Tiruvalla.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
Learning and reproducing the contents learnt during examination is a part of every student’s life especially in professional courses like nursing where the entire curriculum is made concise into four years. Making the teaching and learning strategies more student-friendly has helped to retain student’s attention and insist in them the interest to learn and perform better. Jigsaw Technique is one of the cooperative learning technique in which students equally participates, prepares and leads a group thus learning for themselves as well as preparing for their group. The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of jigsaw learning technique on nursing students in learning a concept of Preeclampsia, as it is found beneficial in teaching. The technique also helps to revolve the learning material for peers in learning process and thereby help to build interpersonal and interactive skills among students. 50 B.Sc nursing students were selected and their pre-knowledge level on the concepts of preeclapmpsia was assessed. The same group was taught the Jigsaw Technique of learning to study the concept and the students were divided into 5 groups. A day was fixed to organize the Jigsaw classroom. After one week, their post knowledge was assessed. There was a significant difference in the performance of the students on the self-administered questionnaire before and after the intervention. The posttest score was increased (21.62) than the pretest knowledge mean score of 10.48. The calculated paired t’ test at 0.05 level of significance was 3.76 which is greater than the table value of 1.684. Thus, the Jigsaw Learning method proved to be an effective educational learning tool for nursing students.
Cite this article:
Smitha Jose, Manjima M J, Nidhi Alex, Santy M Thampi. A Study to Assess the effect of Jigsaw Learning Technique to Learn the Concept of Preeclampsia among Fourth year B.Sc. Nursing students of TMM College of Nursing, Tiruvalla. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(3):184-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00039
Smitha Jose, Manjima M J, Nidhi Alex, Santy M Thampi. A Study to Assess the effect of Jigsaw Learning Technique to Learn the Concept of Preeclampsia among Fourth year B.Sc. Nursing students of TMM College of Nursing, Tiruvalla. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(3):184-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00039 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-3-3
1. Sudha R. Nursing education. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; Newdelhi. 2013. Pp 48- 50
2. Polit D F, Hungler B P. Nursing Research Principles and Methods. 3 rd edition. Philadelphia. J B Lippincott Company; 2000
3. Manisha Dhinwa, Kanchan Gawande et. al Prevalence of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy in India: A Systematic Review and Meta‑analysis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3437072/
4. Rosalind M Peters, John M Flack. Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing; Volume 33, Issue 2, P 209-220, March 2004. https://www.jognn.org/article/S0884-2175(15)34159-9/fulltext
5. Carmen Liliana, Diana, Eduard. Investigating Nurses’ Knowledge about Preeclamptic Patients’ Care in a Tertiary Care Centre in Romania. A cross sectional study. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6861710/
6. Sumitra Melinamani, Frincy Francis, Reena George, L Mariya Pushpa, Shilpa Vergheese. The Jigsaw effect: Impact of Jigsaw learning technique on nursing students to learn the concepts of normal labor. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. January 2017.
7. Durmus Kilic. The effect of the jigsaw technique on learning the concepts of the principles and methods of teaching. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2008; 4:109-114.
8. Mrs. Lakshmi Renganathan. A Comparative study on Effect of Jigsaw Puzzle Method among nursing students’ academic level of performance at Oman Nursing Institute, Muscat. Indian Journal of Applied Research. 2013; 3(9).
9. Ataman Karacop. The Effects of Using Jigsaw Method Based on Cooperative Learning Model in the Undergraduate Science Laboratory Practices. Universal Journal of Educational Research. 2017; 5(3): 420-434,
10. Deepa R. Nair, Angesh H. Bagade. Evaluation of Jigsaw Learning Methodology as An Active Teaching Strategy for First Year Indian Medical Students. European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine (EJMCM). 2020; 7(10): 4105-4110. https://ejmcm.com/pdf_10842_38920eae24aca1dbe092717b2956b924.html
11. Poonam Dhull, Gunjan Verma. Jigsaw Teaching Technique for Teaching Science. International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews. 2019; 6(2): 809 – 815.