R. Beutlin, J. Agnes Philo
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
R. Beutlin1, J. Agnes Philo2
1Associate Professor, The Salvation Army Catherine Booth College of Nursing, Putheri, Tamil Nadu.
2Tutor, The Salvation Army Catherine Booth College of Nursing, Putheri, Tamil Nadu.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
Nursing has seen the emergence of the term "empowerment" in its lexicon. As the largest healthcare professional group, nurses play a vital role in encouraging patients to take action toward achieving both health and sustained development aspirations. The nursing profession is faced with a range of challenges that necessitate an immediate need to invest in healthcare workers. New nurses with superior qualifications are essential to handle these tribulations. It is imperative that student nurses be endowed with the necessary means and resources in order to meet these difficulties during their professional trajectories. So descriptive study was conducted to spot light on the areas of empowerment among the student nurses during their training period. 146 samples were recruited by purposive sampling technique. Tool has two parts demographic variables and domains of empowerment (Communication, stewardship, access to information and resources, training opportunities, research and clinical competence). Data was collected by Google forms. The results showed that student nurses have the ability to communicate effectively and have access to information and resources; however, they require further development of multilingual skills. Stewardship, training opportunities, research, and clinical competency were found to be areas needing improvement as the mean score for most statements was lower than average.
Cite this article:
R. Beutlin, J. Agnes Philo. Domains of Empowerment among Nursing students. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(4):291-5. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00060
R. Beutlin, J. Agnes Philo. Domains of Empowerment among Nursing students. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(4):291-5. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00060 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-4-10
1. G. Radhakrishnan, S. Anuchithra. Nursing Empowerment for Quality Improvement. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2016; 4(3): 317-320. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2016.00071.8
1. Visiers-Jiménez L, Kuokkanen L, Leino-Kilpi H, Löyttyniemi E, Turjamaa R, Brugnolli A, Gaspar F, Nemcová J, Palese A, Rua M, Zelenikova R, Kajander-Unkuri S. Graduating Nursing Students' Empowerment and Related Factors: Comparative Study in Six European Countries. Healthcare (Basel). 2022; 10(5): 754. doi: 10.3390/healthcare10050754. PMID: 35627891; PMCID: PMC9140337.
2. Nahla Savira Novelina, Kuntarti Kuntarti. The relationship between peer caring behaviour and nursing students’ caring behaviour towards patients: A cross-sectional study, Enfermería Clínica. 2021; 31(2): S105-S108.
3. Bradbury-Jones C, Tranter S. Inconsistent use of the critical incident technique in nursing research. J Adv Nurs. 2008; 64(4): 399-407. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04811.x. Epub 2008 Sep 1. PMID: 18764849.
4. Al-Niarat, T. and Abumoghli, F. Factors Influencing Nursing Students’ Empowerment: A Literature Review. Open Journal of Nursing. 2019; 9: 1240-1251. doi: 10.4236/ojn.2019.912090.
5. Novelina, Kuntarti. The relationship between peer caring behaviour and nursing students caring behaviour towards patients- A cross sectional study. Enfermia Clinica. 2021: 31 (2): 105-108.
6. Amicone, Kaitlin F. and Miller, Rachel. Assertiveness in Nursing Students. Williams Honors College, Honors Research Projects. 2015; 8.
7. Reji RK, Sushma. Critical thinking and decision making: Essential skills in nursing. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 13.
8. Liaqat M, Awan RL, Sharif S, Bibi R. Empowerment: A Change in Nursing and Health Care System. J Clin Res Bioeth. 2020; 11: 363.
9. Koukourikos K, Tsaloglidou A, Kourkouta L, Papathanasiou IV, Iliadis C, Fratzana A, Panagiotou A. Simulation in Clinical Nursing Education. Acta Inform Med. 2021; 29(1): 15-20. doi: 10.5455/aim.2021.29.15-20. PMID: 34012208; PMCID: PMC8116070.
10. Konwar G, Kalita J. The barriers and challenges of conducting nursing research and communicating research findings into practice. Int J Health Sci Res. 2018; 8(6):216-222
11. Alavi, N.M., Nabizadeh Gharghozar, Z. and Ajorpaz, N.M. The barriers and facilitators of developing clinical competence among master’s graduates of gerontological nursing: a qualitative descriptive study. BMC Med Educ. 2022; 22: 500.
12. A. V. Nageswara, Dasarathi Sahu. The Impact of Internal Communication on improving Organizational Productivity. Asian J. Management. 2017; 8(2):229-234.
13. J. Roseline Sharmila. A Study to Assess the Nurse’s Perception on Job Empowerment at Selected Hospital, Coimbatore. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2021; 2(3): 147-148.
14. Nandini. Way of Communication in Nursing. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(1):110-111.
15. Sampoornam W. Nursing Theory in Research. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2012; 2(3): 144-146.
16. Suresh Ray, Ranjana T. A Study to Assess the Barriers in Using Research in Practice among Nurses Working in the Hospitals of Pune City. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2012; 3(3): 136-138.
17. Malar Kodi Aathi. Nursing Informatics: The Emerging Field. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research. 2014; 4(1): 127-130.
18. Lynda Wilson, Radha Acharya, Sita Karki, Henna Budhwani, Prajina Shrestha, Pratibha Chalise, Unisha Shrestha, Kabita Gautam. Evidence-Based Practice Models to Maximize Nursing’s Contributions to Global Health. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2016; 6(1): 41-47.
19. Amrutha K, Chinchu P Saju, Rayhana, Shine Thomas, Assuma Beevi TM. Level of Satisfaction of Patients regarding the Nursing Care Provided by the Student Nurses. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2018; 8(4):538-540.
20. Deepa K Damodaran, Kandasamy M. Clinical Environment: Experiences of Undergraduate student nurses. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2013; 1(1): 25-30.