In recent years, the relevance of ethical, psychological, social, and cultural elements of birthing across many groups has led to the promotion of respectful maternity care (RMC). Although the concept of respectful maternity care is to promote woman-centered care, respecting women's beliefs, autonomy, dignity, and preferences to reserve their right to have a companion during childbirth. RMC is a fundamental right of all women. Disrespect and abuse (D&A) are violations of fundamental ethical standards, human rights, and fundamental patient care duties. Intrapartum respectful maternity care can affect the mother’s experiences of childbirth. This article is aimed to determine the status of respectful maternity care and its relationship with childbirth experience among Indian women.
Cite this article:
Devarakonda Koteswaramma. Respectful Maternity Care: A Holistic approach in Promoting Positive Birth Experience. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(4):296-0. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00061
Devarakonda Koteswaramma. Respectful Maternity Care: A Holistic approach in Promoting Positive Birth Experience. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(4):296-0. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00061 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-4-11
1. [Internet]. Who.int. 2021 [cited 24 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.who.int/woman_child_accountability/ierg/reports/2012_01S_Respectful_Maternity_Care_Charter_The_Universal_Rights_of_Childbearing_Women.pdf
2. Ansari H, Yeravdekar R. Respectful maternity care during childbirth in India: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine. 2020; 66(3): 133.
3. Baranowska B, Doroszewska A, Kubicka-Kraszyńska U, Pietrusiewicz J, Adamska-Sala I, Kajdy A, Sys D, Tataj-Puzyna U, Bączek G, Crowther S. Is there respectful maternity care in Poland? Women’s views about care during labor and birth. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2019; 19(1):1-9.
4. Bohren MA, Tunçalp Ö, Miller S. Transforming intrapartum care: respectful maternity care. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2020; 67: 113-26.
5. Choudhary S, Jelly P, Mahala P. Models of maternity care: a continuity of midwifery care. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 9(6): 2667.
6. Christe DM, Padmanaban S. Respectful Maternity Care Initiative: A Qualitative Study. The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India. 2021:1-6.
7. Dasari P, Thulasingam M. Implementation of RMC at Tertiary Care Centre in South India.
8. R. Naganandini, V. Selvanayaki. Expectations of Women during the Process of Child Birth. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2015; 5(3): 437-438
9. Mohini Sonawane, Supriya Chinchpure. Assess Association of Fear of Childbirth (FOC) among Primigravida Women with Labor Outcome in Selected Municipal Corporation Hospital. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2018; 6(4):338-344.
10. India registers a steep decline in maternal mortality ratio [Internet]. The Hindu. 2021 [cited 25 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/india-registers-a-steep-decline-in-maternal-mortality-ratio/article32106662.ece
11. Priyanka A. Masih. Focusing on Respectful Maternal Care Practices. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2020; 8(4): 350-352.
12. P. A. Rejini. A Study to Analyze knowledge regarding respectful maternity care among OBG nurses at Sri Ramakrishna Hospital Coimbatore. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2022; 10(4): 347-0.
13. Junger S, Sharma B, Wagh D. Beyond maternal mortality: a systematic review of evidences on mistreatment and disrespect during childbirth in health facilities in India. Trauma, Violence, and Abuse. 2019: 1524838019881719.
14. Khan T, Ahmad A, Fatima B, Furqan S, Mushtaq E, Shaad T, Sharma A. Birth companion during labour: A quality improvement initiative for respectful maternity care. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2021: 226.
15. LeFevre AE, Scott K, Mohan D, Shah N, Bhatnagar A, Labrique A, Dhar D, Chamberlain S, Ved R. Development of a phone survey tool to measure respectful maternity care during pregnancy and childbirth in India: study protocol. JMIR research protocols. 2019; 8(4): e12173.
16. Mayra K, Matthews Z, Padmadas SS. Why do some health care providers disrespect and abuse women during childbirth in India?. Women and Birth. 2021.
17. Pant L, Khalid N, Sharma K, Srivastav N. Disrespectful Maternity Care: Labor Room Violence in Government Health Facilities in India.
18. Respectful Maternity Care Charter [Internet]. White Ribbon Alliance. 2021 [cited 24 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.whiteribbonalliance.org/respectful-maternity-care-charter/
19. Respectful maternity care is every woman’s right [Internet]. The Indian Express. 2021 [cited 24 July 2021]. Available from: https://indianexpress.com/article/parenting/blog/respectful-maternity-care-right-of-woman-5419945/
20. Sharma G, Penn-Kekana L, Halder K, Filippi V. An investigation into mistreatment of women during labour and childbirth in maternity care facilities in Uttar Pradesh, India: a mixed-methods study. Reproductive health. 2019; 16(1):1-6.
21. Singh S, Gogoi A, Caleb-Varkey L, Manoranjini M, Ravi T, Rawat D, Goel R. Development of a Study tool to Assess Gaps in Respectful Maternity Care in Health Facilities of India.
22. White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood - Healthy Newborn Network [Internet]. Healthy Newborn Network. 2021 [cited 24 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.healthynewbornnetwork.org/partner/white-ribbon-alliance-safe-motherhood/
23. White Ribbon Alliance India [Internet]. White Ribbon Alliance. 2021 [cited 24 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.whiteribbonalliance.org/india/