Sasikala. A, Lizy Sonia. A, Latha Venkatesan, Sasikala. D
Sasikala. A1, Lizy Sonia. A2, Latha Venkatesan3, Sasikala. D4
1Tutor, Apollo College of Nursing, Chennai.
2Asst.Professor, King Khalid University, Saudi Arabia.
3Principal, Apollo College of Nursing, Chennai.
4Reader, Apollo College of Nursing, Chennai.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Background: First aid is the immediate treatment given to casualty for any injury or sudden illness before the arrival of an ambulance, doctor or other qualified person. Training the Traffic Police on first aid management of Head injury can be helpful in providing first aid to the victims on the accident areas that will be saving many lives and preventing complications. Objective: The objective of the study to assess the effectiveness of multimodal package on first aid management of head injury upon the knowledge and practice among traffic police at selected traffic zones, Tamilnadu. Methodology: A True experimental pretest posttest research was conducted among Traffic Police working in Chennai west-II traffic zone. 60 traffic police were selected as study participants out of which 30 were constituted to experimental group and 30 were constituted to control group. Pretest knowledge and practice were assessed in both groups. Multimodal package on first aid management was administered to experimental group of Traffic Police and posttest was conducted after one week. Result: The mean posttest knowledge (M=18.9) and practice scores (M=28.1) was significantly higher in experimental group to that of control group which shows the effectiveness of multimodal package on first aid management on head injury. Conclusion: The present study reveals that multimodal package on first aid management of head injury had a significant increase in the knowledge and practice of Traffic Police in the experimental group.
Cite this article:
Sasikala. A, Lizy Sonia. A, Latha Venkatesan, Sasikala. D. Effectiveness of Multimodal Package on First aid Management of Head injury upon the Knowledge and Practice among Traffic Police at selected Traffic zones, Tamilnadu: A True Experimental Study. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(2):226-230. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00054.9
Sasikala. A, Lizy Sonia. A, Latha Venkatesan, Sasikala. D. Effectiveness of Multimodal Package on First aid Management of Head injury upon the Knowledge and Practice among Traffic Police at selected Traffic zones, Tamilnadu: A True Experimental Study. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(2):226-230. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00054.9 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-2-14
1. Adugna Cherkos.(2014). Assessment of knowledge, attitude and practice toward first aid related to road traffic accidents among traffic police. Unpublished Research Project. Department of Emergency Medicine College of Health Sciences, University of Addis Ababa. Ethiopia.
2. American Heart Association. (2015). Guidelines update for CPR and ECC. Retrieved from http://www.heart.org
3. Arjun Kumawat, Rajesh Kumar Sharma, Muthuvenkatachalam S.. Effectiveness of an Instructional Package on First Aid Management for Professional Drivers on their Competency in providing First Aid to Victims. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 3(4): Oct.- Dec., 2013; 201-206
4. Bijaya Shrestha, Oranut Pacheun, Chaweewon Boonshuyar and Manash Shrestha (2017). Response to road traffic injuries: a survey of Royal Thai Traffic Police in a Northeastern Province of Thailand. Journal of Public Health and Development. Vol. 15 No. 1 January-April.101-112.
5. Difons. K.M and Victor.M (2017), Assessment of knowledge, attitude and practice of first aid amongst minibus drivers, conductors and road traffic police officers in Ndola, Zambia, “Asian Pacific Journal of Health Sciences, 2017; 4(3):121-128.
6. PereraM..James K., Nazeer A. Tissera. S. and Silva S.N.(2017). A study on knowledge and practices of First Aid and CPR among Police Officers in Colombo and Gampaha.Issue Number: 117 .Transpotation Research Board.ISSN: 0943-9293
7. Polit. D.F., and Beck, C.T. (2016) Nursing Research, Generating and Assessing Evidence for Nursing Practice. (8th edition)New Delhi: Lippincott.
8. Sanjay Mithra (2016). Annual report -2015.Government Road Transport Authority Wing. India.
9. Shekhar, C., Gupta, L. N., Premsagar, I. C., Sinha, M., and Kishore, J. (2015). An epidemiological study of traumatic brain injury cases in a trauma centre of New Delhi (India). Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock, 8(3), 131–139.
10. World Health Organization (2015), “Road Traffic Injuries”, retrieved 11th November 2015 from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs358/en/
11. World Health Organization. (WHO). (2014). World report on road traffic injury prevention. World Health Organization. Geneva.Switzerland.
12. P. Yasodha, Anju Thomas. Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on First Aid for Emergencies to Primary School Teachers. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 1(3): July-Sept. 2011; Page 85-86.
13. K. Maheshwari. Knowledge of Mothers Regarding First Aid. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 7-8. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00002.7
14. Manish Kumar Balai, Neetu Tripathi. Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programmeon Knowledge Regarding First Aid in Selected Conditions among Primary School Teachers Working in Selected Schools, at Adarsh Nagar, Jaipur. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(4): 457-460. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00089.1
15. Sofiya Mohan, V. Chandrakala. Effectiveness of Video Assisted Teaching on First Aid for Minor Injuries among National Cadet Corp Students. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(4): 549-554. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00107.0
16. J.C. Frank. A Pre Experimental Study to evaluate the effectiveness of planned teaching programme on knowledge and attitude regarding selected first aid management among auto drivers in selected area at Madurai, Tamilnadu 2012. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(2): 119-122. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00026.9
17. Byula Bavana, Ruth Grace Mallela, K. Surekha, U. Sujatha. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on First Aid Management of Minor Abrasions among Elementary School Children at Tirupati. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management 3(3): July- Sept. 2015; Page 225-230
18. Umarani J, Renita Priya Dsouza, Priya Reshma Aranha, Shilpa G.S. First Aid of Minor Ailments: Knowledge of Primary School Teachers. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research 2(4): Oct.- Dec. 2014; Page 274-276.
19. Priyaranjani. N, Sheela Williams. A study to assess the effectiveness of health awareness programme on knowledge regarding selected health promotive behaviors among traffic police personnel in Mysuru city. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research 3(3):July-Sept., 2015; Page 321-324. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2015.00015.0
20. Sun Ae Kim, Sun Kyung Kim, Jong-Im Kim, Ock Ja Chang, Ji Yeon Choi, Mi Ra Nam. Acquisition of CPR-related Self-efficacy through BLS Program among Undergraduate Nursing Students in Korea. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(7): 2265-2270. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00401.2