Gamze Goke Arslan, Sebnem Cinar Yucel
Gamze Goke Arslan1, Sebnem Cinar Yucel2
1Department of Fundamentals Nursing, Karamanoglu Mehmetbey University Faculty of Health Sciences, 70200, Karaman, Turkey.
2Department of Fundamentals Nursing, Ege University Nursing School, 35000, İzmir, Turkey.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
With the advanced age, older people become less productive, experience decline in mental functions, delay to respond to new situations, weakening of the short-term memory and need others’ help to maintain activities of daily living, which cause them to experience loneliness and anxiety. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the effect of back massage and hand massage applications on comfort and anxiety of older people living in nursing homes. The population of this single-blind randomized controlled experimental study with a pretest - posttest control group comprised seniors living in two different nursing homes in Izmir, a province in western Turkey. The study sample consisted of 45 older people between October 15, 2015 and May 1, 2016 and met the sample selection criteria. They were assigned to BM (n = 15), HM (n = 15) and Control (n = 15) groups. The study data were collected using the Personal Information Form (PIF), State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI), General Comfort Questionnaire (GCQ). BM and HM increased the comfort levels of the older adults living in nursing homes and reduced their anxiety levels, and the results were considered statistically significant (p< .05). BM and HM have a positive effect on comfort and anxiety in older adults living in nursing homes. It was concluded that BM and HM were non- pharmacological nursing interventions with no side effects which nurses can include in nursing care confidently and can apply independently.
Cite this article:
Gamze Goke Arslan, Sebnem Cinar Yucel. Effects of the Hand Massage and Back Massage on Comfort and Anxiety in Older People: A Randomızed Controlled Trial. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(2):173-9. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2022.00035
Gamze Goke Arslan, Sebnem Cinar Yucel. Effects of the Hand Massage and Back Massage on Comfort and Anxiety in Older People: A Randomızed Controlled Trial. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(2):173-9. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2022.00035 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-4
1. Şenol D, Erdem S. The Old Age and the Perception of Nursing Home in Elderly Women: A Qualitative Study. Journal of Social Sciences Kırıkkale University. 2017 7;2: 31-50.
2. UNDESA: World Population Ageing, 2015. http://www.un.org/ en/ development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WPA2015_Report.pdf. accessed from, 2017.
3. Kurtkapan H. Socıal Reflections of Demographic Transformation For Older People in Turkey. Journal of Social Insurance. 2019 15: 27-46.
4. Khorshıd L, Eser I, Zaybak A, Yapucu U, Arslan G & Çınar Ş: The Evaluatıon of Lonelıness Level of Elderly Indıvıduals Resıdıng in Rest Homes. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2004; 7 (1), 45-50.
5. Aslan M, Hocaoğlu Ç. Aging and Psychiatric Problems Associated with Aging Period. Journal of Duzce University Health Sciences Institute. 2017 7; 1:53-62.
6. Kolcaba K, Schirm V, Steiner R. Effects of hand massage on comfort of nursing home residents. Geriatric Nursing. 2006 27;2: 85-91. doi: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2006.02.006.
7. Kolcaba K: Holistic comfort: Operationalizing the construct as a nurse-sensitive outcome. Advances in Nursing- Science 1992; 15(1), 1-10. Doi: 10.1097/00012272-199209000-00003.
8. Kolcaba K: Comfort theory and practice: a vision for holistic healt care and research. New York: Springer Publish Company, 2003.
9. Ooi SL, Smith L, Pak SC. Evidence-informed massage therapy–an Australian practitioner perspective. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2018 31: 325-331.
10. Erzincanli S., Kasar KS. Effect of Hand Massage on Pain, Anxiety, and Vital Signs in Patients Before Venipuncture Procedure: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pain Management Nursing 2021 22: 356-360.
11. Cınar S, Eser İ, Khorshid L. The Effects of Back Massage on the Vital Signs and Anxiety Level of Elderly Staying in a Rest Home. Hacettepe University Faculty of Health Sciences Nursing Journal. 2009 14-21.
12. Gasibat Q, Suwehli W. Determining the benefits of massage mechanisms: a review of literature. Rehabilitation Sciences. 2017 3: 58-67.
13. Mohammadpourhodki R, Sargolzaei MS, Basirinezhad MH. Evaluating the effect of massage based on slow stroke back massage on the anxiety of candidates for cataract surgery. Romanian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2019 63;2:146.
14. Holland B, Pokorny M. Slow Stroke Back Massage: Its Effect on Patients In rehabilitation Setting. Rehabilitation Nursing. 2001 26;5:182. doi: 10.1002/j.2048-7940.2001.tb01948.x.
15. Chen WL, Liu GJ, Yeh SH, Chiang MC, Fu, MY, Hsieh YK. Effect of back massage intervention on anxiety, comfort, and physiologic responses in patients with congestive heart failure. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 201319;5: 464-470. doi: 10.1089/acm.2011.0873.
16. Ersser SJ, Bentley T, Chappell S, Taylor HR, Wade S, Walsh R et al. Sleep of old people in nursing care settings and the impact of back massage on sleep: a pilot study. Oxford Centre for Health Care Research & Development Oxford Brookes University, Oxford. 1998.
17. Yücel SC, Eser İ. Effects of hand massage and acupressure therapy for mechanically ventilated patients. Journal of Human Science. 2015 12;2: 881-896.
18. Kuğuoğlu S, Karabacak Ü. Turkish Version of the General Comfort Questionaire. İstanbul University Florence Nightingale Journal of Nursing. 2008 16;61: 6-23.
19. Spielberger CD, Gorsuch RL, Lushene RE. Manual for the state trait inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press. 1970.
20. Oner N, Le Compte A. State-trait anxiety inventory handbook. Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey. 1998.
21. Kolcaba K, Dowd T, Steiner R & Mitzel A: Efficacy of Hand Massage for Enhancing the Comfort of Hospice Patients. Journal of Hospice Palliative Nursing 2004; 6, 91-102.
22. Demir B, Saritas S. Effects of massage on vital signs, pain and comfort levels in liver transplant patients. Explore. 2020 16;3:178-184. Doi: 10.1016/j.explore.2019.10.004.
23. Akyıl RÇ, Adıbelli D, Erdem N, Kırağ N, Aktaş B, Karadakovan A. Relationship of the level of loneliness and perceived social support and happiness in elders staying at home and nursing home. Journal of Anatolia Nursing and Health Sciences. 2018 21;1: 33-41.
24. Çavdar AU, Yılmaz E, Baydur H. The effect of hand massage before cataract surgery on patient anxiety and comfort: a randomized controlled study. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing. 2020 35;1: 54-59. doi: 10.1016/j.jopan.2019.06.012.
25. Alimohammad HS, Ghasemi Z, Shahriar S, Morteza S, Arsalan K. Effect of hand and foot surface stroke massage on anxiety and vital signs in patients with acute coronary syndrome: A randomized clinical trial. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2018 31: 126-131.