University Grants Commission of India has issued a circular to Higher Educational Institutions by asking them to take the actions like the installment of complaint boxesand the development of committees by the faculty and students to prevent caste-based discrimination. The current paper discusses the concepts, principles, barriers, and practices that help in overcoming discrimination practices on campus. The author concludes the paper by quoting the evidence of a discrimination-free campus in nursing colleges in India.
Cite this article:
Ponnambily Chandy. Zero tolerance to Caste-based discrimination: A brawny pillar of nursing colleges in India Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(4):413-5. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2022.00088
Ponnambily Chandy. Zero tolerance to Caste-based discrimination: A brawny pillar of nursing colleges in India Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(4):413-5. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2022.00088 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-13
1. UGC 2017. Prevention of Caste-Based Discrimination in Higher Education Institutions- Instruction of the UGC – Communicated for Strict Compliance – Committee Constituted | Pondicherry University. URL https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/6876644_Letter-to-VCs-CasteBasedDiscrimination-Eng.pdf. [Retrieved May 22, 2021].
2. Siddique, Zahra, Caste Based Discrimination: Evidence and Policy (December 6, 2009). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1550883 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1550883
3. Srivatsan R. Reflections on discrimination and health in India. Indian J Med Ethics. 2015 Jan-Mar;12(1):13-7. doi: 10.20529/IJME.2015.004. PMID: 25716435.
4. Komanapalli V, Rao D. The mental health impact of caste and structural inequalities in higher education in India. Transcult Psychiatry. 2021 Jun;58(3):392-403. doi: 10.1177/1363461520963862. Epub 2020 Nov 2. PMID: 33131461.
5. Sankaran S, Sekerdej M, von Hecker U. The Role of Indian Caste Identity and Caste Inconsistent Norms on Status Representation. Front Psychol. 2017 Mar 31;8:487. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00487. PMID: 28408896; PMCID: PMC5374864.
6. ForthG.Purity, Pollution, and Systems of Classification. In The International Encyclopedia of Anthropology, H. Callan (Ed.), 2017.
7. Annual Reports: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment—Government of India. 2017. Retrieved May 22, 2021, from http://socialjustice.nic.in/ViewData/?mid=76658.
8. UN Women. Dalit Women’s Livelihoods Accountability Initiative India. 2012. URL https://www2.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/media/publications/en/fgeprogrammeevaluationgenderatworkdssindia.pdf?v=1&d=20140917T100944 [Accessed on May 22 2021].