End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) is a serious medical disorder leading to impaired Quality oflife (QOL). QOL as perceived by patients with ESRD is an important measure of patient outcome. However, there is paucity of literature that assesses the QOL of patients on Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) in our country. A descriptive study was undertaken to assess the QOL of patients on CAPD and to determine the relationship between QOL and selected demographic and clinical variables. A total of 33 subjects were chosen by consecutive sampling technique. Data was collected using self-administered Questionnaire - Kidney Disease Quality of life (KDQOL-SF™ 1.3) questionnaire. The mean age was 53.06+80yrs and the most common cause of ESRD was chronic disease (66.7%) i.e. Diabetes mellitus (33.3%). The overall QOL was satisfactory (58.28+11.5). Highest mean QOL scores were in the area of dialysis staff encouragement (87.50), and symptoms (83.01). The lowest mean score of QOL was in the area of burden of kidney disease (32.27), and role physical (38.78). Highest QOL scores in the area of ‘dialysis staff encouragement’ emphasises on the role of nurses and health care team in optimising the QOL of patients on CAPD.
Cite this article:
Philanim A. Shimray. Quality of life of patients on Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(1):57-2. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00014
Philanim A. Shimray. Quality of life of patients on Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(1):57-2. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00014 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-14
1. Kuriokose AV, Kenchaappa V, Hiremath S, Varghese B, Sproge S, Cevere R. Assessment of quality of life in chronic renal failure patients in India. Quality Issues and Insights in the. 2012; 21:20-8.
2. Prabha SL. Assess the Quality of Life (QOL) of patients undergoing Haemodialysis in Vinayaka Mission Hospital, Salem, Tamilnadu. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2015;3(3):197-9.
3. Kouidi E. Health-related quality of life in end-stage renal disease patients: the effects of renal rehabilitation. Clinical Nephrology. 2004 May 1;61:S60-71.
4. Mehrotra R, Chiu YW, Kalantar-Zadeh K, Bargman J, Vonesh E. Similar outcomes with hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis in patients with end-stage renal disease. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2011 Jan 24;171(2):110-8.
5. Terrill B. Renal Nursing: a Practical Approach. Ausmed Publications; 2002.
6. IsnardBagnis C, Crepaldi C, Dean J, Goovaerts T, Melander S, Nilsson EL, Prieto-Velasco M, Trujillo C, Zambon R, Mooney A. Quality standards for predialysis education: results from a consensus conference. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2015 Jul 1;30(7):1058-66.
7. Thomas A, Jacob JS, Abraham M, Thomas BM, Ashok P. Assessment of acute complications and quality of life in hemodialysis patients with chronic kidney disease. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 May 1;14(5):2671-5.
8. Swapna Mary A, Priya NG. A study to assess the health related quality of life among clients undergoing hemodialysis in selected hospitals at Bangalore with a view to develop an information booklet. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2016 Oct 1;35(45):45. 10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00080.X
9. MasoudRayyani LM, Forouzi MA, Razban F. Self-care self-efficacy and quality of life among patients receiving hemodialysis in South-East of Iran. Asian J NurEdu Res. 2014 Apr;4:165-71.
10. Tippegowda SB, Gowda YK. Coping Strategies and Quality of Life among Haemodialysis Patients in South India: A Co-relational Study. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2015 Sep 28;3(3):243-7.
11. Amutha JJ. Effectiveness of selected nursing interventions on Fatigue and Quality of life among Chronic Renal Failure patients undergoing Hemodialysis in a selected hospital at Madurai. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2021 Jul 1;9(3):269-74.
12. Soriano GP. Depression and quality of life among Chronic Kidney Disease Patients on Hemodialysis at selected Stand-alone Renal Facilities in Manila: A cross-sectional study. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2019 Apr 1;9(2):251-5.
13. Harrison MB, Juniper EF, Mitchell-DiCenso A. Quality of life as an outcome measure in nursing research. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research Archive. 1996 Apr 13:49-68.
14. Bataclan RP, Dial MA. Cultural adaptation and validation of the Filipino version of kidney disease quality of life–short form (KDQOL‐SF version 1.3). Nephrology. 2009 Oct;14(7):663-8.
15. Rajapurkar MM, John GT, Kirpalani AL, Abraham G, Agarwal SK, Almeida AF, Gang S, Gupta A, Modi G, Pahari D, Pisharody R. What do we know about chronic kidney disease in India: first report of the Indian CKD registry. BMC Nephrology. 2012 Dec;13(1):1-8.
16. Armstrong PA. The perceived quality of life in persons performing peritoneal dialysis (Doctoral Dissertation, Grand Valley State University).
17. Kimmel PL, Emont SL, Newmann JM, Danko H, Moss AH. ESRD patient quality of life: symptoms, spiritual beliefs, psychosocial factors, and ethnicity. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2003 Oct 1;42(4):713-21.
18. Reynaga-Ornelas L. Dialysis modality and health-related quality of life of persons with end stage renal disease. Arizona State University; 2011.
19. Modi GK, Jha V. The incidence of end-stage renal disease in India: a population-based study. Kidney International. 2006 Dec 2;70(12):2131-3.
20. Dash SC, Agarwal SK. Incidence of chronic kidney disease in India. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2006 Jan 1;21(1):232-3.
21. Modi GK, Jha V. The incidence of end-stage renal disease in India: a population-based study. Kidney International. 2006 Dec 2;70(12):2131-3.
22. Okpechi IG, Nthite T, Swanepoel CR. Health-related quality of life in patients on hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation. 2013 May 1;24(3):519.
23. Niu SF, Li IC. Quality of life of patients having renal replacement therapy. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005 Jul;51(1):15-21.