Kerala is the diabetes capital of India. The prevalence of diabetes closely reflects the lifestyle of a population. The purpose of the study is to assess the effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme (STP) on knowledge, attitude and practice regarding home care management of Type II Diabetes mellitus among prediabetes patients in selected wards of Chunakkara Panchayat in Aleppey District. The research method adopted for this study was quantitative method, pre-experimental one group pre-test and post-test design. The investigator carried out pre-clinical assessment among 250 subjects from the selected wards of Chunakkara Panchayath out of which 50-prediabetes subjects were chosen using non-probability purposive sampling technique. The researcher assessed the knowledge, attitude and practice regarding home care management of Type II Diabetes mellitus using a structured questionnaire, attitude scale and self- reported practice checklist followed by a structured teaching programme. The study revealed that among the 50 subjects nearly half of the subjects (42 %) were between the age group of 51 - 60 years and 58% were females. During pre-test out of the 50 subjects, 52% had poor knowledge, 48% had average knowledge; 52% of the subjects had an average attitude, 42% has a poor attitude; 74% had a poor practice, 13% has a satisfactory level of practice. Whereas in post-test 84% had good knowledge, 16% had average knowledge; 84% had good attitude, 16% had average attitude; 26% had good practice and 74% had satisfactory level of practice regarding home care management of Type II diabetes mellitus. The paired’ value obtained was 26.63, 18.322 and 16.46 respectively. Hence, research hypothesis was accepted at 0.05 level of significance. The pre-test practice was associated with the sociodemographic variable age and no other associations found. The study concluded that structured teaching programme is very effective to improve the knowledge, attitude and practice.
Cite this article:
Smitha Elza Varghese, Nahomi Clement. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge, Attitude and Practice regarding Home Care Management of Type II Diabetes Mellitus among Prediabetes patients in selected Wards of Chunakkara Panchayath, Aleppey District. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(2):123-9. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00027
Smitha Elza Varghese, Nahomi Clement. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge, Attitude and Practice regarding Home Care Management of Type II Diabetes Mellitus among Prediabetes patients in selected Wards of Chunakkara Panchayath, Aleppey District. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(2):123-9. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00027 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-2-10
1. Sarah Wild, Gojka Roglic, Anders Green, Richard Sicree, Hilary King. Global Prevalence of Diabetes Estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care. 2004. May; 27(5) :1047–1053. Available from http: // www. who. Int / diabetes /facts/en/diabcare0504.pdf
2. Diabetes mellitus. Wikipedia. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetesmellitus
3. Smeltzer C Suzanne, Bare G Brenda, Janice Hinkle L, Kerry Cheever H. Brunner and Siddharth’s Textbook of Medical Surgical Nursing. 12th ed. II. New Delhi: Wolters Kluwer; 2011, 1377-1380.
4. International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes: Facts and Figures. Europe: The Federation; 2015; Available from: http://www.idf.org/about-diabetes/facts-figures
5. Maya C. Kerala has high rates of diabetes incidence. Ernakulam: The Hindu; 2016. Available from: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Thiruvananthapuram/kerala-has-high-rate-ofdiabetes-incidence/article8457105.ece.
6. Prediabetes. Wikipedia. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediabetes.
7. Prediabetes. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/prediabetes.html.
8. Adaptation model of nursing. Wikipedia. 12 October 2017; Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_model_of_nursing.
9. Polit F D, Beck T C. Nursing Research: Principle and Methods. 9th edition; Philadelphia; Lippincott Williams and Wilkins Publications; 2011; 94-125.
10. Suresh S K. Nursing Research and Statistics. 2nd edition; Haryana; Elsevier Publications; 2015; 101-116
11. Shyamalan. Statistics in Medicine. 1st edition; Trivandrum; Global Education Bureau; 2006.
12. Shafiur R, Reza M, Kourosh H N, Owais R. Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) Regarding Chronic Complications of Diabetes among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes in Dhaka. International Journal of Endocrinology Metabolism. July 2017; 15(3); Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5702002/