Author(s): Jagroop Kaur

Email(s): karamroop87@yahoo.com

DOI: Not Available

Address: Jagroop Kaur
Assistant Professor, Gursewa College of Nursing, Panam, Garhshankar, Distt. Hoshiarpur, Punjab.
*Corresponding Author

Published In:   Volume - 4,      Issue - 1,     Year - 2014


ABSTRACT:
A descriptive and exploratory research approach was adopted to assess the knowledge and attitude of diabetics attending the medical outpatient department of the selected hospitals of Sri Muktsar Sahib, Punjab. The objectives of the study were to assess the existing knowledge and attitude of diabetics related to diabetic foot and its prevention and to find out the association of knowledge and attitude related to foot care with socio demographic variables. The conceptual framework adopted for the present study was based on Health Belief Model (HBM) by Rosenstock andBecker (1970). 100 study subjects were selected by purposive sampling technique. Their knowledge was assessed by structured interview schedule and attitude by using 5 point attitude scale. The results of the study showed that 80 (80%) subjects had average level of knowledge scores and the remaining 20 (20%) possessed good level of knowledge scores related to diabetic foot and its prevention. While in attitude related to diabetic foot and its prevention, a large number i.e. 87 (87%) subjects had good, 9 (9%) showed excellent followed by 4 (4%) who depicted average level of attitude scores. The association of the knowledge scores with the socio demographic variables related to feet care illustrated that only marital status had statistically significant association (p<0.05). However, the association of attitude with the socio demographic variables showed that the age, educational status and duration of onset of diabetes were found to be statistically significant (p<0.05). It was concluded that the study subjects had deficit knowledge related to diabetic foot and its prevention as compared to the corresponding attitude that was found to be favourable. If this knowledge deficit among the diabetics is reduced, it may assist them to develop a more positive attitude towards healthy feet care practices; which will ultimately result in the prevention of diabetic foot.


Cite this article:
Jagroop Kaur. A Study to assess the Knowledge and Attitude related to Diabetic foot and its Prevention among Diabetics Attending Medical Outpatient Department in selected Hospitals of Sri Muktsar Sahib, Punjab. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(1): Jan.-March 2014; Page 50-55.


Recomonded Articles:

Author(s): Lillykutty M. J, Rebecca Samson

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2018.00036.8         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Nidhin Abraham, Janet Mathias, Sheela Williams

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Mridula Das, Barkha Devi, Ranjita Devi, Sangay Doma Bhutia

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): S. Shakila, S. Rajasankar, N. Kokilavani

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2015.00062.2         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Mahadeva Prasad N.S., Dorothy Deena Theodore

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00028.8         Access: Open Access Read More

Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research (AJNER) is an international, peer-reviewed journal devoted to nursing sciences....... Read more >>>

RNI: Not Available                     
DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996 

Popular Articles


Recent Articles




Tags