Author(s): Anita Rani Kansal, Rajinder Mahal, D. Behera, Rohit Sarin


DOI: Not Available

Address: Anita Rani Kansal1, Rajinder Mahal2 D. Behera3, Rohit Sarin4
1Nursing Superintendent National Institute of TB & RD, Aurobindo, Marg, New Delhi.
2Professor, College of Nursing, M.D.O.C. Hospital, Ludhiana.
3Professor, Dept. of Pulmonary Medicine, PGIMER, Chandigarh.
4Director, National Institute of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi
Corresponding Author

Published In:   Volume - 4,      Issue - 1,     Year - 2014

Background- India is high TB burden, high HIV burden and high MDR TB burden country. Nurses are the backbone of any health care delivery system. Nurse’s knowledge and attitude is crucial for achievement of targets of TB control. Objectives- To assess the learning needs, knowledge and attitude of nurses for tuberculosis. To evaluate factors affecting knowledge and attitude. Methodology – Three different tools, one to assess learning needs, second was knowledge questionnaire with six domains. and third attitude scale was used . Content validity and reliability of all tools were established before data collection. Subjects were 400 nurses working in tertiary care TB institutions. Results –20% nurses expressed that they knew about category 4 treatment, its regimes and records and reports related to RNTCP. Remaining 80% have expressed the desire to learn these areas. About 30% nurses expressed that they have knowledge regarding ACMS, regimens of treatment , diagnosis of tuberculosis as per RNTCP guidelines. 50% nurses expressed that they have learnt about history, etiology and pathphysiology, side effects of ATT, categories of treatment and role of nurse for TB patient. Mean knowledge score was 31.54 out of 50 (63.08%). Knowledge was the lowest in the programmatic aspect of RNTCP domain (49.40%) followed by prevention of TB (58%) drug resistant TB (63%),treatment of drug resistant TB (63%) and basics of drug sensitive TB (73%). Demographic variables such as age, gender, qualification, designation did not affect the total knowledge score but source of learning, training and experience has affected the knowledge score. Mean attitude score was 69.77±8.0. Demographic variables did not affect the attitude score except qualification. Conclusion – Though nurses had fairly good knowledge regarding drug sensitive TB, they need to be updated for drug resistant TB.

Cite this article:
Anita Rani Kansal, Rajinder Mahal, D. Behera, Rohit Sarin. A study to assess learning need, knowledge and attitude of nurses regarding tuberculosis care under RNTCP in two tertiary care tuberculosis institutions of Delhi, India. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(1): Jan.-March 2014; Page 30-34.

Recomonded Articles:

Author(s): Nidhin Abraham, Janet Mathias, Sheela Williams

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Mridula Das, Barkha Devi, Ranjita Devi, Sangay Doma Bhutia

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): S. Shakila, S. Rajasankar, N. Kokilavani

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2015.00062.2         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Mahadeva Prasad N.S., Dorothy Deena Theodore

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00028.8         Access: Open Access Read More

Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research (AJNER) is an international, peer-reviewed journal devoted to nursing sciences....... Read more >>>

RNI: Not Available                     
DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996 

Popular Articles

Recent Articles