Rupa Upadhyaya, Hiramoni Barman
Rupa Upadhyaya1*, Hiramoni Barman2
1Tutor, VKNRL School of Nursing, Numaligarh, Golaghat, Assam.
2Lecturer, BSc (N) College, Dibrugarh, Assam.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
The patients with casted limb suffer with complications due to inadequate knowledge which lends them in great physical, social, psychological and economic loss. Structured teaching programme becomes an integral part to empower the patients with knowledge and skill in caring himself, prevent complication and improve bone healing. The current study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on self care of Plaster of Paris casted limb among patients with lower limb fracture. The study adopted a pre experimental, one group pre test post test design. 50 patients with Plaster of Paris casted lower limb fracture were selected by using non-probability convenient sampling technique and data were collected by using socio demographic proforma and structured knowledge questionnaire. Descriptive and inferential statistics were used to analysis the data. There was a significant increase in the level of knowledge of patients between the pre test and post test. The mean pre test score is 12.14 and the mean post test score on self care of POP is 17.46 (p<0.01) at 0.05 level of significance. A significant association of the pre test levels of knowledge was found with age, educational status, occupation, previous history of fracture, previous information of fracture and Plaster of Paris cast. The result shows that structured teaching programme improved the knowledge regarding self care of Plaster of Paris casted limb.
Cite this article:
Rupa Upadhyaya, Hiramoni Barman. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on self care of Plaster of paris casted limb among patients with Lower Limb Fracture. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):439-444. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00093.2
1. Waugh A, Grant A. Anatomy and physiology in health and illness.12th ed. Delhi: church Hill Livingstone; Ltd 2003.
2. Jindal R, Jindal N, Dass A. A retrospective study of prevalence of Lower limb fractures. J Adv Med Dent Scie Res [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2016 Dec]; 4(6): 23-25. Available from: http://www.jamdsr.com/uploadfiles/ 7LOWER_LIMB_ FRACTURES. 20161109092255.PDF.
3. WHO. Musculoskeletal conditions fact sheet; cited 2018 Feb Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/ musculoskeletal/en/.
4. Woolf AD, Pfleger B. Burden of major musculoskeletal conditions. Bone and joint decade 200-2010. Bulletin of the WHO 2003, 81 (9) .Pp-646.Available at: https://www.who.int>Woolf.pdf.
5. Vaishya R. Osteoporosis. Research gate. 2017June. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317596729_Osteoporosis.
6. Sinha K. Fracture alert: India faces bone ultimatum, World Health Organization/Osteoporosis. June 2010;30 (6):337-40.
7. J. Bharathi, K. Menaka, P. Padmavathi. A Study to assess the effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on knowledge regarding self care management among knee Osteoarthritis Patients attending outpatient departments at selected hospitals, Thiruvannamalai. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2016; 6(2): 237-239.
8. Tintu Annie Mathew. A Study on Effectiveness of Structured Teaching program on Road Safety Measures among Primary School Children in Selected School at Bangalore. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(2): April- June 2014; Page 207-211.
9. NIMHANS Department of Epidemiology. WHO Collaborating Centre. Nov 08 2008, NIMHANS, Bangalore-560029.
10. Singh Sanat, Dwivedi SK, Bansal AK, Netam Sujata. Epidemiological Profile of Fractures of Lower Femur Patients. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012; 4(1): 34-36.
11. Bhuyan PJ, Ahmed F. Road traffic accident: An emerging public health problem in assam. Indian J Community Med. 2013 May; 38(2):100-4. [PubMed]. Available from https://www.ncbi.nlm. nih.gov/pubmed/23878423.
12. Basim Mohammed Dhahir, Imad Hadi Hameed, Ahmed Radee Jaber. Prospective and Retrospective Study of Fractures According to Trauma Mechanism and Type of Bone Fracture.. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(11): 3810-3818.
13. Szostakowski B, Smitham, Khan WS. Plaster of Paris- short history of casting and injured limb immobilization. Open Orthop J.2017; 11:291-296.
14. Bhavani. A., Sara. B. A Study to assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge and Practice Regarding Prevention of Selected Complications of Immobilization among the Patients with Orthopedic Disorders in RMMCH, Chidambaram. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(1): 51-54.
15. Chintamani. Lewis Medical Surgical Nursing: Assessment and management of clinical Problems. New Delhi: Elsevier, a division of Reed Elsevier India Private Limited.2011.
16. Singh Sanat, Thakur Amit K, KK Singh, Shrivastava, PK , Netam Sujata. Hospital Stay of Patient: Supracondylar and Intercondylar Fractures of the Distal Femur. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012; 4(2): 108-110.
17. Fogetry, Guy MJ. African Americas show increased risk for pressure ulcers: a retrospective analysis of acute care hospitals in America. Wound Repair Regimen. Jan 2003;17(5):678-84.
18. M. P. Santhosh Kumar, Devishree. Role of Bone Morphogenic Protein 3 in the regulation of Bone Growth and Development. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(3): 1251-1254.
19. K. Srinivassan. A Quasi Experimental Study to Assess Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme regarding Knowledge on Risk Factors, Complications and Prevention of Arthritis among the Selected Population at Kadamalaipudhur Village, Kanchipuram District . Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(3): July- Sept., 2014; Page 342-345.
20. Harpreet Kaur. Effectiveness of structured teaching programme regarding self care management in relation to prevention of complications among diabetics. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(3): July- Sept., 2014; Page 279-283.
21. Rosaline Lilly Mary. A study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on self care after application of POP casted limb among patient with fracture admitted in RMMCH at Chidambaram. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(2): April- June 2014; Page 178-181.
22. Nagaraju B, Shampalatha S, Pavani G. Basic Research Journal of Medicine and Clinical Sciences ISSN 2315-6864 Vol. 1(5) Pp 73-87 December 2012 .[cited on:15th October 2013].Copyright ©2012 Basic Research Journal. Available from: http://www.basic_research_journals.org
23. Komal V, Anil K, Preksha M. “Effectiiveness of Self- Instructional Module on Knowledge Regarding Prevention of Prevention of Plaster Cast Complications Among Staff Nurses Working in Selected Hospitals of Punjab”. Research gate, BFUNJ Vol. 15, Number 2, December 2018, pp 9-12.
24. Chandrasekhar H. A study to evaluate the effectiveness of structured teaching programme in care of patients with plaster of Paris cast for care providers of selected hospital, Bangalore. RGUHS 2005 [Unpublished].
25. Damor B. “Evaluate the Effectiveness of Self- Instructional Module on Knowledge Regarding Cast and its Management Among Fracture Patient Admitted in Orthopedic Ward in selected Hospitals Udaipur city, Rajasthan.” IOSRJournal of Nursing and Health Science (IOSR-JNHS), vol.8, no.04, 2019, pp 52-55.