Preeti Hooda, Navreet Kaur Saini
Preeti Hooda1, Navreet Kaur Saini2*
1M.Sc. Nursing, Ved Nursing College, Prem Institute of Medical Sciences, Panipat.
2Assistant Professor, Ved Nursing College, Prem Institute of Medical Sciences, Panipat.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Background: First aid is the assistance given to any person suffering a sudden illness or injury. It is an immediate help given to a victim with injury or sudden illness, by a bystander until appropriate medical help arrives. It is care provided to preserve life and prevent the condition from worsening. Material and methods: This was a quasi-experimental study with time series research design. Sixty subjects comprising of people residing in Baroli and Israna villages of Panipat were conveniently enrolled in experimental and control group each. Information, education and communication using information booklet, lecture and discussion on first aid management of accidents was delivered to the subjects in experimental group. Pretested and validated self-structured questionnaire was used to assess knowledge. Result: There was significance gain in post-test I knowledge score from 11.10 to 24.08 (p=<0.05) and in post-test II knowledge score from 11.10 to 23.63 (p=<0.05) among experimental group. No significant gain in knowledge was found in post-test I and post-test II in control group. Conclusion: The study findings revealed that information education communication programme given to subjects regarding first aid management of accidents helped to enhance the knowledge of subjects.
Cite this article:
Preeti Hooda, Navreet Kaur Saini. A Quasi experimental study to assess the effectiveness of information education communication programme on knowledge regarding first aid management of accidents among people residing in selected villages of Panipat. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):404-408. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00086.5
1. First aid. In: Wikipedia [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2018 Feb 23]. Available from: https://en..wikipedia.org/w/index.php? title= First aid &oldid=82686809
2. Road traffic injuries [Internet]. [cited 2019 Apr 12]. Availablefrom: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/road-traffic-injuries
3. Traffic Accidents - India Environment Portal | News, reports, documents, blogs, data, analysis on environment & development | India, South Asia [Internet]. [cited 2019Apr14]. Available from:http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/category/2144/thesaurus/traffic-accidents
4. Burns [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 31]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/burns
5. Burns [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 31]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/burns
6. Dog Bite Statistics: By Breed, Demographics and Location | Updated for 2019 [Internet]. Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC. [cited 2019 Apr 14]. Available from: https://www.maxlawsc. com/dog-bite-statistics/
7. India sees 1.75 million dog bites every year, yet we face up to 80% shortage of anti-rabies vaccines [Internet]. [cited 2019 Apr 14]. Available from: https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/ health/india-sees-1-75-million-dog-bites-every-year-yet-we-face-up-to-80-shortage-of-anti-rabies-vaccines-61298
8. Taking the bite out of snake venom [Internet]. American Chemical Society. [cited 2019Apr14]. Available from:https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/presspacs/2019/acs-presspac-january-30-2019/taking-the-bite-out-of-snake-venom.html
9. Poison is defined as a "substance that causes death or injury when swallowed or absorbed."Colins Dictionaries, from the Bank of English (2001). Collins English Dictionary p 594
10. World Health Organization. Poisoning Prevention and Management. http:// www.who.int/ipcs/poisons/en/ (accessed 18 August 2016)
11. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. National Poisons Information Centre. http://www.aiims.edu/en/ departments-and-centers/central-facilities.html id=167 (accessed 18 August 2016)
12. Effect of structured teaching programme regarding first aid management among the school teachers at z. p. high school, piler, Andhra Pradesh, India | International Journal of Current Research [Internet].[cited 2018 Mar 20]. Availablefrom:50http:// journalcra.com/article/effect-structured.com/article/effect-structured-teachingprogramme-regarding-firstaid-management-among-school-teachers-z-
13. Hema V. H &DilliBabu M. A descriptive study to assess the level of knowledge Regarding first aid management of domestic Accidents among mothers of under five children and safety practices at home in rural village, chennaia June 2016/2-741481106057-6.
14. Joseph N, Narayanan T, Bin Zakaria S, Nair AV, Belayutham L, Subramanian AM, et al. Awareness, attitudes and practices of first aid among school teachers in Mangalore, south India. J Prim Health Care. 2015 Dec 1;7(4):274–81.
15. Chaitali A. Gore, SruthiSankar, Shabnam Sheriff, SwethaAnand, Smrithika L, SwathiMaiya A study on knowledge regarding first aid among undergraduate medical students, Vydehi Medical College, Bangalore.2017 Jul;4(7):2555-2557