Suicide can be defined as intentional self-inflicted death. It is a serious cause of mortality worldwide. Suicide is considered as a psychiatric emergency and the awareness of the seriousness of suicide in our society should not be overlooked. It is estimated that approximately 1.5% of all deaths worldwide are by suicide in the year 2020. The suicide mortality rate in 2015 was 12% in 100,000, which means about one death every 20 s. Rates of completed suicides are generally higher among men than among women, ranging from 1.5 times as much in the developing world to 3.5 times in the developed world. Suicide is generally most common among those over the age of 70; however, in certain countries, those aged between 15 and 30 are at the highest risk. Suicidal behavior is the second leading cause of death in adolescents in the world. Suicide behavior in adolescents can be prevented by recognizing risk factors and protective factors originating from themselves and the surrounding environment. This study aimed to identify risk factors and protective factors for adolescents who demonstrate suicidal behavior. Prevention programs that target young people, females, and low socioeconomic groups, and aimed to reduce harmful alcohol use can help prevent suicidal behaviours.
Cite this article:
Tushar Kedar. Suicide and Suicide risk factors: A Literature Review. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(3):441-6. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00107
Tushar Kedar. Suicide and Suicide risk factors: A Literature Review. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(3):441-6. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00107 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-3-34
1. Suicide prevention wikipedia Available online at-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/suicide
2. WHO preventing suicide Aglobal imperative. Geneva: World Health Organization (2021) Available online at- https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/suicide
3. Blisen J. Suicide and Youth: Risk Factors Front Psychiatry. 2018; 9: 540.
4. Masango SM Rataemane ST, Motojesi AA, Suicide and suicide risk factors: A Literature Review 2008; 50(6):25-28
5. Runcan R, Suicide in Adolescence: A Review of Literature 2020(3):109-120
6. Tiomothy J. suicide ans suicidal behavior Healthline; Dec. 2019; Available online at- https://www.healthline.com/health/suicide-and-suicidalbehavior#suicidal-signs
7. Dendup T, Zhao Y, Dorji T, Phuntsho T. Risk factors associated with suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in Bhutan: An analysis of the 2014 Bhutan STEPS Survey data; Journal of Plos One, Jan 30, 2020. Available from-(journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.)
8. Niken AL, Paraswati MD, Windarwati HD. What are the risk factors and protective factors of suicidal behavior in adolescents? A systematic review, Journal of Child and Aduloscent in Psychiatric Nursing; Feb 2021:34(1); 7-18.