Varghese Divya, Nutan Kumari
Varghese Divya1*, Nutan Kumari2
1Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health Nursing, St, Johns College of Nursing, Bengaluru.
2Tutor, Department of Community Health Nursing, St, Johns College of Nursing, Bengaluru.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Background: Jigsaw technique is atype of cooperative learning which makes learner to be responsible for teaching some of the content to the group.It also helps the students in improving their self confidence,which in turn helps them in problem solving and critical thinking.Innovative teaching learning methods helps the students to excel, especially in the professional courses.Teacher student friendly approach helps to retain students attention and instill in them the interest to learn better. Objectives: 1.To compare the pretest and postest knowledge regarding national health programs among the nursing students in a selected college of nursing,Bangalore. 2. To determine the association of pretest knowledge scores regarding national health programs with selected baseline variables of nursing students. Methods: The research design for the study was quasi experimental one group pre test-post test design. The sample size comprised of 96 nursing students of a selected College of Nursing.Samples were selected by purposive sampling technique. Data were collected using a semi structured knowledge questionnaire regarding National health programs which was followed by Jigsaw technique. Result: The mean pre test knowledge score ( 10.86±1.139) was less than the post test knowledge score( 17.54±1.421) .The paired ‘ t’ value computed between the pre test and post test knowledge (t=39.93 , p=0.01) was statistically significant.There was no significant association between pre test knowledge scores with age of the nursing students.After Jigsaw technique 100% (96) students reported that Jigsaw technique was helpful to learn National Health Programs.About 97% (93) students said that they value Jigsaw technique than lecture method of teaching Interpretation and conclusion: The students lacked knowledge regarding National Health Programs. In the pretest majority of nursing students, 89% (85) reported that they don’t like to study National Health Programs as it is very boring. But in the post assessment 97%(93) students like to study National Health Programme with the help of Jigsaw technique. The Jigsaw technique was very effective in improving the knowledge as evidenced by post test. Study concluded that Innovative teaching learning methods helps the students to excel, especially in the professional courses.
Cite this article:
Varghese Divya, Nutan Kumari. Impact of Jigsaw Technique on Knowledge regarding National Health Programs among Nursing Students. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1):129-132. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00033.1
Varghese Divya, Nutan Kumari. Impact of Jigsaw Technique on Knowledge regarding National Health Programs among Nursing Students. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1):129-132. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00033.1 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-1-33
1. Nur Hafizah Azmin. Effect of the Jigsaw- Based Cooperative learning method on student performance in the General certificate of education advanced level psychology.International Education Studies: 2016:9(1).
2. Sumitra Melinamani, Frincyfrancis, Reena George, L Mariya Pushpa, Shilpa Varghese. The Jigsaw effect: Impact of Jigsaw learning technique on nursing students to learn the concepts of normal labour.Asian Journal of Nursing and Educational Research.
3. Dr. Mahmoud Jamal Al-Sakhi. The effectiveness of Jigsaw strategy on the achievement and learning motivation of the 7th grade students in Islamic education. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. April 2015:5(4).
4. Aronson. E, Bridgeman. D. L. Jigsaw groups and the desegregated classroom: In pursuit of common goals. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.1979:5(4):438-66.
5. Church H.Taking forward the Jigsaw Classroom: The development and implementation of a method of collaborative learning for first year phiulosophy tutorials. 2012:11(2).
6. Rodger. S, Murray. H and Cummings A. Gender differences in cooperative learning with University students.The Alberta Journal of Educational Research. 2007:53(2);157-73.
7. Killic D. The Effects of the Jigsaw technique on learning the concepts of the principles and methods of teaching.World Applied Sciences Journal. 2008:4(1);109-14.