Evidenced-based practice is a decision-making process to the clinical problems faced by the nurses during clinical practice. Mental health nursing is a specialty that focuses upon the individual’s not only physical but emotional and psychological needs. Unlike other nursing specialties, mental health nursing practice is an evidence-based practice with certain challenges and barriers. This article discusses the barriers and the possible solutions to overcome the problems that come across when implementing EBP in the clinical area by nurses and also suggests some resources for the EBP in mental health nursing practice.
Cite this article:
Sushil Humane, Prachi Khaire. Evidence-based Practice in Psychiatric Nursing. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(2):111-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00024
Sushil Humane, Prachi Khaire. Evidence-based Practice in Psychiatric Nursing. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(2):111-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00024 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-2-7
1. Melnyk BM, Fineout-Overholt E, Stillwell SB, Williamson KM. Evidence-Based Practice: Step by Step: The Seven Steps of Evidence-Based Practice. AJN Am J Nurs [Internet]. 2010 Jan [cited 2022 Jan 25]; 110(1):51–3. Available from: https://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/fulltext/2010/01000/evidence_based_practice__step_by_step__the_seven.30.aspx
2. Jones J. Evidenced-based practice. Kans Nurse. 2004 Oct; 79(9):28.
3. Orta R, Messmer PR, Valdes GR, Turkel M, Fields SD, Wei CC. Knowledge and Competency of Nursing Faculty Regarding Evidence-Based Practice. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2016 Sep 1; 47(9):409–19.
4. Nursing Definitions [Internet]. ICN - International Council of Nurses. [cited 2021 Dec 22]. Available from: https://www.icn.ch/nursing-policy/nursing-definitions
5. Krau SD. The utilization of evidenced-based practice in nursing: some important considerations. Nurs Clin North Am. 2014 Dec; 49(4):xi–xii.
6. psychiatric nursing – APA Dictionary of Psychology [Internet]. [cited 2022 Jan 25]. Available from: https://dictionary.apa.org/psychiatric-nursing
7. Zauszniewski JA, Suresky J. Evidence for psychiatric nursing practice: an analysis of three years of published research. Online J Issues Nurs. 2004 Jan 31; 9(1):13.
8. Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on the Health Professions Education Summit. Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality [Internet]. Greiner AC, Knebel E, editors. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2003 [cited 2022 Jan 27]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK221528/
9. Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Crossing the Quality Chasm: Adaptation to Mental Health and Addictive Disorders. Improving the Quality of Health Care for Mental and Substance-Use Conditions: Quality Chasm Series [Internet]. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2006 [cited 2022 Jan 27]. (The National Academies Collection: Reports funded by National Institutes of Health). Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK19830/
10. Balas EA, Boren SA. Managing Clinical Knowledge for Health Care Improvement. Yearb Med Inform. 2000; (1):65–70.
11. Gray GE. Concise guide to evidence-based psychiatry. Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.; 2004. xxiv, 237 p. (Concise guide to evidence-based psychiatry).
12. Lisa Pullen IT Debra C Wallace. Research Priorities in Mental Health Nursing. Issues Ment Health Nurs [Internet]. 1999 Jan 1 [cited 2022 Jan 27]; 20(3):217–27. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/016128499248628
13. Majid S, Foo S, Luyt B, Zhang X, Theng Y-L, Chang Y-K, et al. Adopting evidence-based practice in clinical decision making: nurses’ perceptions, knowledge, and barriers. J Med Libr Assoc JMLA. 2011 Jul; 99(3):229–36.
14. Breimaier HE, Halfens RJG, Lohrmann C. Nurses’ wishes, knowledge, attitudes and perceived barriers on implementing research findings into practice among graduate nurses in Austria. J Clin Nurs. 2011 Jun; 20(11–12):1744–56.
15. Gosling AS, Westbrook JI, Spencer R. Nurses’ use of online clinical evidence. J Adv Nurs. 2004 Jul; 47(2):201–11.
16. Dalheim A, Harthug S, Nilsen RM, Nortvedt MW. Factors influencing the development of evidence-based practice among nurses: a self-report survey. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012 Oct 24; 12:367.
17. Eizenberg MM. Implementation of evidence-based nursing practice: nurses’ personal and professional factors? J Adv Nurs. 2011 Jan; 67(1):33–42.
18. Gerrish K, Guillaume L, Kirshbaum M, McDonnell A, Tod A, Nolan M. Factors influencing the contribution of advanced practice nurses to promoting evidence-based practice among front-line nurses: findings from a cross-sectional survey. J Adv Nurs. 2011 May; 67(5):1079–90.
19. Yoder LH, Kirkley D, McFall DC, Kirksey KM, StalBaum AL, Sellers D. CE: Original Research: Staff nurses’ use of research to facilitate evidence-based practice. Am J Nurs. 2014 Sep; 114(9):26–37; test 38; 50.
20. Gerrish K, Ashworth P, Lacey A, Bailey J. Developing evidence-based practice: experiences of senior and junior clinical nurses. J Adv Nurs. 2008 Apr; 62(1):62–73.
21. Yadav BL, Fealy GM. Irish psychiatric nurses’ self-reported barriers, facilitators and skills for developing evidence-based practice. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2012 Mar; 19(2):116–22.
22. Linton MJ, Prasun MA. Evidence-based practice: collaboration between education and nursing management. J Nurs Manag. 2013 Jan; 21(1):5–16.
23. Pravikoff DS, Tanner AB, Pierce ST. Readiness of U.S. nurses for evidence-based practice. Am J Nurs. 2005 Sep; 105(9):40–51; quiz 52.
24. Arslanian-Engoren’s Decision-Making Program of Research Featured in Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing | University of Michigan School of Nursing [Internet]. [cited 2022 Jan 27]. Available from: https://nursing.umich.edu/about/news-portal/201110/1829
25. Arslanian-Engoren C, Redman R, Whall A, Kernohan G, Slevin E, Slevin O. Evidence-based nursing and mental health concerns: A cross-national discussion. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2006; 20(3):105–7.
26. Prevett T. Research Guides: NUR 440 - Research and Evidence Based Practice: Evidence Based Practice Models [Internet]. [cited 2022 Jan 27]. Available from: https://libguides.snhu.edu/c.php?g=871077&p=6252900
27. EMTReK: An Evidence-based Model for the Transfer & Exchange of Research Knowledge—Five Case Studies in Palliative Care - Cathy Payne, Mary J. Brown, Suzanne Guerin, W. George Kernohan, 2019 [Internet]. [cited 2022 Jan 27]. Available from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2377960819861854
28. Kristensen N, Nymann C, Konradsen H. Implementing research results in clinical practice- the experiences of healthcare professionals. BMC Health Serv Res [Internet]. 2016 Feb 10 [cited 2022 Jan 27]; 16:48. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4748469/
29. Fink R, Thompson CJ, Bonnes D. Overcoming barriers and promoting the use of research in practice. J Nurs Adm. 2005 Mar; 35(3):121–9.
30. Carter G, Page A, Large M, Hetrick S, Milner AJ, Bendit N, et al. Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists clinical practice guideline for the management of deliberate self-harm. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2016 Oct; 50(10):939–1000.
31. Themes UFO. Evidence-Based Psychiatric Nursing Practice [Internet]. Nurse Key. 2017 [cited 2022 Jan 26]. Available from: https://nursekey.com/evidence-based-psychiatric-nursing-practice/