Varsha Thakur, Shivani Guleria
Varsha Thakur1, Shivani Guleria2
1Lecturer, Psychiatric Nursing, Chamunda Institute of Medical Sciences and Nursing College, Kullu, Himachal Pradesh.
2Lecturer, Psychiatric Nursing, Chamunda Institute of Medical Sciences and Nursing College, Kullu, Himachal Pradesh.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Cyberchondria is one of the major concern now-a-days. Cyberchondria refers to the excessive and repeated digital health-related searching of information resulting in increased in anxiety. Such searches are compulsive and obsessional in nature. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, cyberchondria became regular among population, as they surfed internet sites related to COVID-19 symptomatology, management etc. Surfing for digital information about symptoms and illnesses on the Internet is very common and very beneficial. However, now-a-days it is seen that this online surfing is distressing population making them more prone to hypochondriasis, panic attacks, anxiety and non-compliance with treatment. Cyberchondria management is the major among health care professionals.
Cite this article:
Varsha Thakur, Shivani Guleria. Cyberchondria (Compulsive Digital Usage related to health): An Overview. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(4):454-6. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2022.00098
Varsha Thakur, Shivani Guleria. Cyberchondria (Compulsive Digital Usage related to health): An Overview. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(4):454-6. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2022.00098 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-23
1. Anjaly Martin, Athira C.P, Libi Augustine, Martha Josphere, Sisira T.S, Tolsy Poly, Besi Paul, Ammu Rajan. Relationship between Internet Addiction and Self-Esteem of Adolescents in Selected Schools at Aluva. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2018; 6(1): 107-110. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2018.00026.1
2. Avinash B. Thalkari, Pawan N. Karwa, Chandrakant S. Gawli. A Review on Online Pharmacy: Views and Counterviews. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8 (2):108-111 .doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2018.00017.X
3. SoumyaSonalika. A Cross Sectional Study to measure the level of Internet addiction among adolescents in ManchanathDev High School, Sameigadia, Bhubaneswar with a view to develop an Information Leaflet. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2019; 7(1): 05-09. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2019.00002.4
4. GagandeepKaur, Sonia Sharma. A Descriptive Study to Assess the Internet Addiction and its Impact on Psychosocial Health among Adolescents. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2019; 7(2):195-199. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2019.00043.7
6. Nagesh V A, David A Kola. A Study to determine the Impact of Social networking Sites on Mental Health of female Adolescents in Smpu College, Dharwad. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2018; 6(2): 210-213. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2018.00048.0
7. Hari V, Nancy. A Correlation Study on the Effect of Internet Addiction on Depression Among Adults at Selected College, Rajkot. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(1): 9-14. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00003.8
8. Ravdin LD. Guide For Clinicians In The Age Of Cyberchondria-Understanding Somatization in the Practice of Clinical Neuropsychology, by Greg J. Lamberty. 2007. New York: Oxford University Press, 152 pp., $39.95 (PB). Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society. 2008;14(5):912-3.
9. Ramachandra. Hypochondria - Historical Perspectives, Diagnosis and Management. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 3(4): Oct.- Dec., 2013; Page 219-223.
10. Starcevic V, Berle D. Cyberchondria: Towards a better understanding of excessive health-related Internet use. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2013;13:205-13.
11. Belling CF. Hypochondriac hermeneutics: Medicine and the anxiety of interpretation. Literature and Medicine. 2006;25(2):376-401.
12. Aya Rani, AjeyaJha. Impact of Age on Online Healthcare Information Search: A Study on Indian Patients. Asian J. Management 6(1): January–March, 2015 page 17-24. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2015.00004.9
13. Vishnu Hari, Nancy. A Correlation Study on the Effect of Internet Addiction on Depression Among Adults at Selected College, Rajkot. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(1): 9-14. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00003.8
14. Christina Jose, Christina Rachel C., Della Mathew, Deva Prasanna, Dolma Lhakyi, Dona Elizabeth Mathew, Ethel Deenah Hazel, Grace Ninan, IndumathiAnbalagan, Jismi Thomas, Josmy Jose. Effectiveness of Structured teaching programme on knowledge regarding Pelvic floor muscle exercises in prevention of Urinary incontinence among premenopausal women admitted in selected hospital Bangalore. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(3):307-0. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00074
15. Parel Thomas J, Thomas L. Level of Internet Addiction among Nursing Students: A Cross Sectional Survey. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 7(4): 466-470. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00091.X
16. Health Research Funding (2020). 8 Bizarre Hypochondriasis Statistics. Retrieved from http://www.healthresearchfunding.org/hypochondriasis-statistics/
17. Williams, MJ., Mcmanus, F., Muse, K., Williams, J.G. (2011). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for severe health anxiety (hypochondriasis): An interpretative phenomenological analysis of patients’ experiences. British Journal of Clinical Psychology. 1-19. Retrieved from DOI:10.1111/j.2044-8260.2010.02000.x
18. Xavier Belsiyal.C, Mala Goswami, Ashish Chauhan. Impact of Internet Addiction on Quality of Sleep among Nursing Students, India. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2017; 5(2): 154-159. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2017.00032.1
19. Mcelroy, E. and Shevli, M. (2014). The development and initial validation of the Cyberchondria Severity Scale (CSS). Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 28 (2), 259-265. Retrieved from www.cyberchondria.org/cyberchondria-survey
20. Summa Health (2020, February 24). Get the Facts on Cyberchondria. Retrieved from https://www.summahealth.org/flourish/entries/2020/02/get-the-facts-on-cyberchondria