Author(s): Rupinderjeet Kaur, Kh. Nita Kumari, Lakhpreet Kaur

Email(s): rupinderjeet1988@gmail.com

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00027.0   

Address: Rupinderjeet Kaur1, Kh. Nita Kumari2, Lakhpreet Kaur2
1Village Bagge Ke Khurd PO. Lumbari Wala Teh. and Dist. Ferozepur-152002, Punjab, India
2Mata Sahib Kaur College of Nursing, Mohali, Punjab, India
*Corresponding Author

Published In:   Volume - 10,      Issue - 2,     Year - 2020


ABSTRACT:
Immunization is the process whereby a person is made immune or resistant to an infectious disease, typically by the administration of a vaccine. Vaccines stimulate the body’s own immune system to protect the person against subsequent infection or disease. This study aimed to assess the immunization coverage and factors leading to dropout among mothers of children in selected rural areas of district Mohali, Punjab with a view to develop an information booklet. A quantitative research approach with exploratory research design was adopted. It included 300 mothers of children selected by using purposive sampling technique in selected rural areas of district Mohali. Survey sheet was used to assess the immunization coverage and dropout and Checklist was used to identify the factors leading to dropout among mothers of children. Study showed that 244 (81.3%) mothers of children show coverage and the remaining 56 (18.7%) mothers of children shows non-coverage. Out of 56 mothers of children who reported dropout, the factors for drop out were further studied. In factor “awareness factors” the maximum number of drop outs were due to lack of awareness in various vaccines contributing to 11(19.6%), in factor “beliefs” maximum 6 (10.7%) were due to fear of side effects, in factor “family circumstances” maximum 8 (14.2% ) were due to family/caregiver forget the day of vaccination, in factor “availability of health care settings and personnel” maximum 4 (7.1% ) were due to vaccines out of stock and in factor “child health status” child was sick at the time of immunization contributed maximally in 14 (25%). There was significant association between immunization coverage and non-coverage with educational level of mother, type of family, religion and is immunization card available. There was no significant association between immunization coverage and non-coverage with age of child (in years), gender, working status of mother, working status of father and monthly family income (in rupees).


Cite this article:
Rupinderjeet Kaur, Kh. Nita Kumari, Lakhpreet Kaur. An exploratory study to assess the immunization coverage and factors leading to dropout among mothers of children in selected rural areas of district Mohali, Punjab with a view to develop an information booklet. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(2): 121-126. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00027.0


Recomonded Articles:

Author(s): Nidhin Abraham, Janet Mathias, Sheela Williams

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Savitha. A, Nalini. M, Roopalatha Shetty, Aruni. G., Sukesh. P

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Divya Shettigar, Abu Mathew, Edweena Philip Monis, Vineesh.K.V.

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Mahesh M. Rebinal

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): K. Maheshwari

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00002.7         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Ramya K.R, Vineetha R.

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Sachdeva Seema, Koul Pity, Batra Kiran

DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996.2017.00115.X         Access: Open Access Read More

Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research (AJNER) is an international, peer-reviewed journal devoted to nursing sciences....... Read more >>>

RNI: Not Available                     
DOI: 10.5958/2349-2996 

Popular Articles


Recent Articles




Tags