Abijah Princy B., Amalorpavamari Lucas, Jayakumari J.
Mrs. Abijah Princy B.1*, Mrs. Amalorpavamari Lucas2, Mrs. Jayakumari J.3
1Reader, College of Nursing, Christian Medical College, Vellore - 632 004, Tamil Nadu India.
2Professor, College of Nursing, Acting HOD, Hemato - Oncology Nursing, Christian Medical College, Vellore - 632 004, Tamil Nadu India.
3Charge Nurse, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Christian Medical College, Vellore - 632 004, Tamil Nadu India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Allogeneic Stem cell transplantation remains the standard of care in many of the hematological disorders and genetic disorders. Despite advances in prevention and management of acute Graft versus Host Disease(aGvHD), it continues to be a major challenge and most common immunogenic complication post Allogeneic stem cell transplantation accounting for early transplant related morbidity and non relapse mortality. aGvHD is an immune triggered process, causing profound immune dysregulation and organ dysfunction. GvHD occurs when immune cells transplanted from a non-identical donor (graft) into the recipient (host) recognize the host cells as ‘foreign’, thereby initiating a graft-versus-host reaction. It considerably influences the overall success rate of allogeneic stem cell transplantation imposing a major impact in the quality of life among transplant survivors. Therefore, it is crucial to understand the pathophysiology, clinical presentation and management of this acute complication in order to improve clinical outcomes and to foster wholistic nursing care for patients undergoing allogeneic stem cell transplantation.
Cite this article:
Abijah Princy B., Amalorpavamari Lucas, Jayakumari J. Acute Graft versus Host Disease Post Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation- A case report. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):521-528. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00113.5
1. Ball LM, Egeler RM. Acute GvHD: pathogenesis and classification. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 2008 Jun; 41(2): S58–64.
2. Nassereddine S, Rafei H, Elbahesh E, Tabbara I. Acute Graft Versus Host Disease: A Comprehensive Review. Anticancer Res. 2017 Apr 1; 37(4): 1547–55.
3. Lee S-E, Cho B-S, Kim J-H, Yoon J-H, Shin S-H, Yahng S-A, et al. Risk and prognostic factors for acute GVHD based on NIH consensus criteria. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013 Apr; 48(4): 587–92.
4. Gooptu M, Koreth J. Better acute graft-versus-host disease outcomes for allogeneic transplant recipients in the modern era: a tacrolimus effect? Haematologica. 2017 May; 102(5): 806–8.
5. Hahn T, Mc Carthy PL, Zhang M-J, Wang D, Arora M, Frangoul H, et al. Risk Factors for Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease After Human Leukocyte Antigen–Identical Sibling Transplants for Adults With Leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Dec 10; 26(35): 5728–34.
6. Stikvoort A, Gaballa A, Solders M, Nederlof I, Önfelt B, Sundberg B, et al. Risk Factors for Severe Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease in Donor Graft Composition. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2018 Mar 1; 24(3): 467–77.
7. Wang F, Cai B, Wang L, Gu Z, Luo L, Wei H, et al. Risk Factors for Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease After Allogeneic Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Single-Center Experience. Med Sci Monit. 2017 Feb 3; 22: 58–65.
8. Filipovich AH, Weisdorf D, Pavletic S, Socie G, Wingard JR, Lee SJ, et al. National Institutes of Health consensus development project on criteria for clinical trials in chronic graft-versus-host disease: I. Diagnosis and staging working group report. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2005 Dec; 11(12): 945–56.
9. Murray J, Stringer J, Hutt D. Graft-Versus-Host Disease (GvHD) [Internet]. The European Blood and Marrow Transplantation Textbook for Nurses: Under the Auspices of EBMT [Internet]. Springer; 2017 [cited 2020 Jun 3]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK543657/
10. Holtan SG, Pasquini M, Weisdorf DJ. Acute graft-versus-host disease: a bench-to-bedside update. Blood. 2014 Jul 17; 124(3): 363–73.
11. Choi SW, Levine JE, Ferrara JLM. Pathogenesis and Management of Graft versus Host Disease. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2010 Feb; 30(1): 75–101.
12. Funke VAM, Moreira MCR, Vigorito AC, Funke VAM, Moreira MCR, Vigorito AC. Acute and chronic Graft-versus-host disease after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira. 2016 Oct; 62: 44–50.
13. Cahn J-Y, Klein JP, Lee SJ, Milpied N, Blaise D, Antin JH, et al. Prospective evaluation of 2 acute graft-versus-host (GVHD) grading systems: a joint Société Française de Greffe de Moëlle et Thérapie Cellulaire (SFGM-TC), Dana Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI), and International Bone Marrow Transplant Registry (IBMTR) prospective study. Blood. 2005 Aug 15; 106(4): 1495–500.