Pushpa B, Nivethitha, A. Felicia Chitra
Ms. Pushpa B1, Prof. Dr. Nivethitha2, Prof. Dr. A. Felicia Chitra3
1M.SC. Nursing II Year (MSN), MTPG and RIHS, Puducherry.
2Associate Professor, Medical Surgical Department, MTPG and RIHS, Puducherry.
3Principal Cum Hod-Dept of Medical Surgical Nursing, MTPG and RIHS, Puducherry.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
The aim was to understand the prevalence of Benign Prostate Hyperplasia in men aged 49 years or older in Puducherry through a descriptive study and analyze the correlation with epidemiologic factors. 30 participants were selected according to the inclusion and exclusion criteria by systematic random sampling technique. A descriptive research design was used for the study. Data was collected using IPSS-Q8 among the male participants attending the Urology OPD at Government Hospital, Puducherry between the age group of 49 years and above. Data analysis was done using descriptive statistics and inferential statistics. Out of the 30 male participants, majority of the male participants 14 (46.7%) of study population were in the age group between 60-69 years. the overall results of the study show that most of the male participants 17 (56.7%) had severe level of benign prostate hyperplasia and 13 (43.3%) male participants had moderate level of benign prostate hyperplasia under the age group of 49-90 years. the demographic variables diet has shown statistically significant association with the prevalence of benign prostate Hyperplasia among the selected participants with chi-square value of (?2=4.22, d. f=1) at p<0.05 level. The study concluded stating that Benign Prostate Hyperplasia is the most common disease among aging males and it is a need to be addressed as earlier as possible because the geriatric population is on the rise in this generation.
Cite this article:
Pushpa B, Nivethitha, A. Felicia Chitra. Prevalence of benign Prostate Hyperplasia among middle aged adults in Puducherry. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):409-412. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00087.7
Pushpa B, Nivethitha, A. Felicia Chitra. Prevalence of benign Prostate Hyperplasia among middle aged adults in Puducherry. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):409-412. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00087.7 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-4-5
1. Vuichoud C, Loughlin KR (2015). Benign prostatic hyperplasia: epidemiology, economics and evaluation. Can J Urol. Oct;22 Suppl 1:1-6.
2. Robert G, De La Taille A, Descazeaud A (2018). [Epidemiology of benign prostatic hyperplasia]. Prog Urol. Nov;28(15):803-812.
3. Sommers, M., Johnson, S. and Barry, T. (2007). Diseases and Disorders : A Nursing Therapeutics Manual. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis Company.
4. Fusco F, Arcaniolo D, Restaino A, Lauri I, Franzese C; SIUT Prostatic Inflammation Study Group. Prevalence of chronic prostatic inflammation based on clinical diagnostic criteria in a real-practice setting: a nation-wide observational study. Minerva Urol Nefrol. 2017 Oct; 69(5):509-518
5. Chokkalingam AP, Yeboah ED, Demarzo A, Netto G, Yu K, Biritwum RB, Tettey Y,Adjei A, Jadallah S, Li Y, Chu LW, Chia D, Niwa S, Partin A, Thompson IM, Roehrborn C, Hoover RN, Hsing AW. Prevalence of BPH and lower urinary tract symptoms in West Africans. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2012 Jun;15(2):170-6.
6. Yue L, Wang T, Ge Y, Ge M, Zhang C, Hou Q, Wang W, Tian H, Ren B, Du B, Zhang W. Prevalence and heritability of benign prostatic hyperplasia and LUTS in men aged 40 years or older in Zhengzhou rural areas. Prostate. 2019 Feb;79(3):312-319.
7. Zhang W, Zhang X, Li H, Wu F, Wang H, Zhao M, Hu H, Xu K (2019). Prevalence of lower urinary tract symptoms suggestive of benign prostatic hyperplasia (LUTS/BPH) in China: results from the China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study. BMJ Open. Jun 19;9(6):e022792
8. Hinkle, J.L. and Cheever, K.H. (2018). Brunner and Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing (14th ed.). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer.
9. Mogotlane, M., Mokoena, J. and Chauke, M. (2006). Medical surgical nursing. Cape Town: Juta.
10. Farrell, M. and Dempsey, J. (2011). Smeltzer and Bare's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. 2nd ed. 530 Walnut Street, Philadelphia PA 19106: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins
11. Yeboah ED. Prevalence of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia And Prostate Cancer In Africans And Africans In The Diaspora. J West Afr Coll Surg. 2016 Oct-Dec;6(4):1-30.
12. Speakman M, Kirby R, Doyle S, Ioannou C. Burden of male lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) suggestive of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) - focus on the UK. BJU Int. 2015 Apr;115(4):508-19.