Virus has a nature of antigenic drift and shift so over time their genetic make-up changes through the mutation and emerged a new strain of virus. Six type of coronavirus are known to infect the human being till now. The latest one and seventh number coronavirus is COVID-19. Diseases caused by coronavirus ranging from common cold to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS-CoV). One more strain or mutant COVID-19 identified at UK in September 2020 and this strain is fast and quick spreading that is 70% more transmissible than the old strain. The first “Variant Under Investigation” in December -2020 in which most significant mutation known as N501Y change the protein spike (S) of the virus that is the receptor binding domain, used to bind the human ACE2 receptors. Five alarming warning signs of new strain of coronavirus are Breathing problem, Confusion, Persistent chest pain, Tired and unable to stay awake, Bluish lips or face. RT-PCR and genetic sequencing still reliable diagnostic method for new variant of corona. Control and prevention need to follow all guidelines which are following previously and till now many vaccines developed but scientist need more research and data for its efficacy on new variant of corona.
Cite this article:
Manish Kumar Balai. UK Variant COVID-19. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(4):601-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00140
Manish Kumar Balai. UK Variant COVID-19. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(4):601-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00140 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-4-32
1. CDC. New COVID-19 Variant. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019- ncov/transmission/variant.html. Accessed on 09 Jan.2021.
2. Jamie Ducharme. WHO declared COVID-19 a Pandemic. Time. 11 March 2020. Available at: https://time.com/5791661/who- coronavirus-pandemic-declaration/. Accessed 09 Jan.2021.
3. Longjam Dineshwori. Coronaviruses: Get to know this family of viruses and related diseases. The Health. 22 Jan 2020. Accessed 09 Jan2021. Available at: https://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases- conditions/coronaviruses-know-this-family-of-viruses-and-related- diseases-723393/
4. Sagar Aryal. Coronavirus- Overview. 09 Nov.2019. Accessed 09 Jan2021. Available at: Coronavirus- An Overview | Microbe Notes
5. PB Jayakumar. Inside the COVID-19 Mutant: The drift of a Virus.22 Dec.2020.Accessed 10 Jan 2021. Available at: https://www.businesstoday.in/bt-buzz/news/inside-the-covid-19- mutant-the-drift-of-a-virus/story/425695.html
6. Jacqui Wise. Covid-19: New coronavirus variant is identified in UK. BMJ 2020;371:m4857. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m485
7. Tasos Kokkinidis. New Corona Variant: How Dangerous is it? What Does it Mean for the Vaccine?. Greek Reporter Europe. Accessed on 10 Jan 2021. Available at: https://eu.greekreporter.com/2020/12/21/new-corona-variant-how- dangerous-is-it-what-does-it-mean-for-the-vaccine/
8. Arpan Rai. Coronavirus: India has 90 cases of UK variant, eight in the last 24 hours. Hindustan Times. 09 Jan. 2021. Accessed on 09 Jan. 2021. Available at: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india- news/coronavirus-india-has-90-cases-of-uk-variant-eight-in-the- last-24-hours-101610177089031.htm
9. India times Report. Coronavirus: 7 symptoms of the new COVID strain. 24 Dec. 2020. Accessed on 10 Jan.2021. Available at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health- news/coronavirus-7-symptoms-of-the-new-covid-strain-as-per- reports/photostory/79920191.cms
10. Arindam Haldar. New COVID strain: How capable are current COVID tests in detecting the latest mutation?. Times Now Digital.
10 Jan 2021. Accessed on 10 Jan.2021. Available at: https://www.timesnownews.com/health/article/new-covid-strain- how-capable-are-current-covid-tests-in-detecting-the-latest- mutation/705336
11. Robert Bollinger. A New Strain of Coronavirus: What You Should Know. Johns Hopkins Medicine. 28 Dec.2020.Accessed on 11 Jan.2021. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and- diseases/coronavirus/a-new-strain-of-coronavirus-what-you- should-know
12. Wikipedia Contributors. COVID-19 Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopaedia. Wikipedia. 16 Jan. 2021; 5:37 UTC. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=COVID- 19_vaccine&oldid=100064671
13. Bharat Biotech. COVAXIN - India's First indigenous COVID-19 Vaccine. Accessed on 16 Jan 2021. Available at: https://www.bharatbiotech.com/covaxin.html
14. Simran Kashyap. BioNTech CEO confident vaccine will work on new UK variant. One India News. 22 Dec. 2020. Accessed on 16 Jan.2021. Available at: https://www.oneindia.com/international/biontech-ceo-confident- vaccine-will-work-on-new-uk-variant-3192703.html