Ancy A, Chitra B, Jancy Saji, Sibi Achankumju, Silpa Biju, Ann Benzily
Ancy A1, Chitra B1, Jancy Saji1, Sibi Achankumju1, Silpa Biju1, Ann Benzily2
1IIIrd Year BSc Nursing, Bishop Benziger College of Nursing, Kollam, Kerala, India.
2Nursing Tutor, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Bishop Benziger College of Nursing,
Kollam, Kerala, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
The research project under took was “A descriptive study to assess the knowledge regarding infection control among first year BSc nursing students at selected nursing colleges with a view to develop an instructional package on infection control.” The objectives of the study were to assess the knowledge regarding infection control among first year B. Sc nursing students in selected nursing colleges at Kollam, to find the association between knowledge scores with selected demographic variables such as age, gender, education, place of residence and socioeconomic status, non-experimental survey design was adopted for this study. A quantitative approach was used in the study. The study was conducted among 50 first year B.Sc nursing who were studying in Bishop Benziger College of Nursing at Kollam. In order to assess the knowledge of first year B.Sc.nursing students, the study sample was selected by non-probability convenient sampling technique. The researcher collected the data using self- structured questionnaire regarding knowledge of infection control. The tool was found to be reliable. The study result shows that 18% of sample had poor knowledge, 64% had average knowledge, 18% had good knowledge, regarding infection control among first year B.Sc nursing students in selected nursing colleges of Kerala and there was no significant association between age, gender, education, place of residence and socio economic status at 0.05 level of significance. Based on the findings the investigators have drawn implication which were of vital concerns in the field of nursing practice, nursing administration and nursing education for future development.
Cite this article:
Ancy A, Chitra B, Jancy Saji, Sibi Achankumju, Silpa Biju, Ann Benzily. A Descriptive Study to Assess the Knowledge regarding Infection control among First year B.Sc. Nursing Students at selected Nursing Colleges with a view to develop an Instructional Package on Infection control. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(1):36-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00009
Ancy A, Chitra B, Jancy Saji, Sibi Achankumju, Silpa Biju, Ann Benzily. A Descriptive Study to Assess the Knowledge regarding Infection control among First year B.Sc. Nursing Students at selected Nursing Colleges with a view to develop an Instructional Package on Infection control. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2023; 13(1):36-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2023.00009 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-1-9
1. Abigail, A. Salyers and Dixei, Dwhilt (2001), Microbiology diversity Disease and the Environment. 1st Edition, Maryland : Bethesda Pp 528-529.
2. Ananthanarayanan and Jayaram Panicker, C.K (2005). Textbook of microbiology.7th edition, Hyderabad: orient longman Pvt.Ltd.Pp 634-638.
3. Genderhitra JB, Lakshmidevi N; Impact of education on knowledge, attitudes and practices among various categories of health care workers on nosocomial infections. Indian J Med Microbiol., 2007; 25:181-187.
4. Preetha, Radhika and Subha Rao (2002). Infection related to vascular catheters in pediatrics ICU, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 42(7). July pp 667-674
5. JafariFesharki, Reyhanesh, Roya Kelishadi, Sedigheh Ghaemi .(2007) . Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 74(2). February, pp 139-141
6. Joseph L, Mathew, Pallal Rey and Sunit Singh(2008). Nosocomial bloodstream infections in a pediatric ward ICU, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 75(1).January Pp 25-30
7. Sandra .M. Nettina. The Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice.7th Ed, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilikins; 2001 p.1065-7
8. Ashok Kumar Sharma. A Pre Experimental Study to assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge and Practice Regarding Nosocomial Infection among the Staff Nurses in Selected Hospitals at Jaipur, Rajasthan. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2018; 8(1): 25-32. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2018.00007.1
9. Lolita S.M. D’Souza., Malarvizhi M., Joicy John. Prevention of Nosocomial infection in NICU. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(2): April- June 2014; Page 255-257. Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2014-4-2-22
10. K. Sharon Rose, Sanjay M. Peerpaur. A Study to assess the knowledge and Practice of Staff Nurses regarding Nosocomial infections, with a view to develop an information Booklet. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(1):1-4.
11. Hepsi Bai J. Knowledge and Practice of Health Care Workers on Infection Control Measures. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(4): Oct.- Dec.2015; Page 518-522.
12. Sudhir Singh. A Quasi – Experimental Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme Regarding Knowledge of Personal Protective Equipment (Ppe) use in Among Nursing Students at Selected Nursing Institute Faridabad (Haryana). International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 9(4):469-2
13. A. Padmaja, A. Leelavathi, C. Rambabu, K. Sesha Kumar, R. Veena Bai, S. Swathi, P. Anil Kumar. A Study to Assess the Knowledge, Attitude and Knowledge on practices regarding Infection control in Paediatric Intensive Care unit among 3rd Year B. Sc. Nursing students, CON-SVIMS, Tirupati. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2020; 8(2):107-112.
14. Vigy Elizebth Cherian, Rose Rajesh. A Study to Assess The Knowledge and Practice among Nurse on Infection Control Measures in Pediatric Unit at Pondicherry Institute of Medical Science, Puducherry. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2018; 6(3): 215-219
15. Hiral Bagtharia, N. Baby Shobana, Jeenath Justin Doss. K. Effectiveness of Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge Regarding Infection control Measures in Labour room among staff nurse. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2018; 6(2): 101-102
16. Vartika Kashyap, Sr. Celcy Mary, Savitha Nagraj. A Study to correlate the compliance of health care professional to infection control protocols with selected maternal outcome in labor room of a Tertiary care Hospital in Bangalore. Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2021; 9(1):57-61.
17. Miok-Kim, Kyung Sook-Kim. Awareness and Practice about Respiratory System Nosocomial Infection Control of Clinical Nurses. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7):3418-3422.
18. Maheswari Thapa, Upasana Rai, Ch. Bijaya Devi, Kritana Chettri, Sonia Wahengbam, Srijana Sharma, Barkha Devi, Shashirani P. Knowledge and Practice of Bio - Medical Waste Management among Safai Karmachari working at Central Referral Hospital, Gangtok, Sikkim. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(2): April-June 2015; Page234-241.
19. Francis. L. A Descriptive Study to Evaluate the level of Knowledge regarding Biomedical Waste Management among Nurses in Christian Mission Hospitals at Madurai. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2018; 8(3):335-338.
20. Siham M. Al- Momani, Waleed Al Momania. Facilitating Nursing Students Compliance with Standard Precautions through their Own Reflection. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 3(4): Oct.- Dec., 2013; Page 248-253
21. Pramod Saharan. Biomedical Waste Management Rules- 2016: An update on recent Evidence in Indian Scenario. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2018; 8(2): 304-306.
22. Amandeep Kaur, Pardeep Kaur. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Self Instructional Module on Biomedical Waste Management among the Staff Nurses of the selected Hospitals of Ludhiana, Punjab.Int. J. of Advances in Nur. Management. 2018; 6(1): 62-66.