Gopi Krishna Ranjan, Rahul Ranjan
Gopi Krishna Ranjan1, Rahul Ranjan2
1Nursing Tutor, Narayan Nursing College, Gopal Narayan Singh University, Jamuhar, Rohtas, Bihar, India.
2Nursing Tutor, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Narayan Nursing College, Gopal Narayan Singh University, Jamuhar, Rohtas, Bihar, India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Diarrhea is a common disease and one of the major determinants of childhood morbidity and mortalityin developing countries. In India it stand for third leading cause of death among children under five years of age. A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted to assess the knowledge and create awareness regarding prevention of diarrhea among mothers of under five children. Structure knowledge questionnaire was prepared regarding prevention of diarrhea. A total of 30 participants were included in the study according to inclusion criteria through simple random sampling. Collected data was analyzed using descriptive statistics including frequency, percentage, mean and standard deviation. Results of the present study shows that most (60%) of participant’s age group were 18-25 years. About (40%) of the participants had moderately adequate knowledge, 36.7% participants had inadequate and in only 23.3% participants had adequate knowledge regarding prevention of diarrhea. Study concluded that mothers of under-five year children had not adequate knowledge about prevention of diarrhea. Therefor health educational programs is needed to trained the mothers and ensure the good practices to prevent diarrhea.
Cite this article:
Gopi Krishna Ranjan, Rahul Ranjan. A Study to assess the knowledge regarding Prevention of Diarrhea among mothers of under five children at selected Hospital of Bhubaneswar. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):445-448. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00094.4
Gopi Krishna Ranjan, Rahul Ranjan. A Study to assess the knowledge regarding Prevention of Diarrhea among mothers of under five children at selected Hospital of Bhubaneswar. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2020; 10(4):445-448. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2020.00094.4 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-4-12
1. Amare D, Dereje B, Kassie B, Tessema M, Mullu G, et al., Maternal Knowledge and Practice Towards Diarrhoea Management in Under Five Children in FenoteSelam Town, West Gojjam Zone, Amhara Regional State, Northwest Ethiopia, 2014. J Infect Dis Ther 2(6):1-9, doi:10.4172/2332-0877.1000182.
2. World Health Organization. Diarrhoea: why children are still dying and what can be done. Geneva: UNICEF/WHO; (2009) Available from; https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/ 10665/44174/9789241598415_eng.pdf
3. Ghasemi AA, Talebian A, MasoudiAlavi N, Mousavi GA. Knowledge of Mothers in Management of Diarrhea in Under-Five Children, in Kashan, Iran. Nurs Midwifery Stud. 2013;2(1):158-62. DOI: 10.5812/nms.10393
4. Boschi-Pinto C, Velebit L, Shibuya K., Estimating child mortality due to diarrhea in developing countries. Bull World Health Organ. 2008;86:710-7.
5. Mwambete KD, Joseph R. Knowledge and perception of mothers and caregivers on childhood diarrhea and its management in Tameka municipality, Tanzania. Tankan J Health Res 2010;12(1):47-54.
6. Animi I, Bazar an M, James FW., Knowledge and management of diarrhea among undeserved minority parents/caregivers. Ambul Pediatric; 2002, 2(3):201-6.
7. Jha N, Singh R, Baral D.,Knowledge, attitude and practices of mothers regarding home management of acute diarrhea in Sunsari, Nepal. Nepal Med Coll J; 2006,8(1):27-30.
8. Dutta V, John R, Singh VP, Chaturvedi P. Maternal knowledge, attitude and practices towards diarrhea and oral rehydration therapy in rural Maharashtra. Indian J Pediatric 2001; 68(11):1035-7.
9. Othero DM, Orago AS, Groenewegen T, Kaseje DO,Otengah PA. Home management of diarrhea among under-fives in a rural community in Kenya: Household perceptions and practices. East Afar J Public Health 2008; 5(3):142-6.
10. WHO, The selection of fluids and food for home therapy to prevent dehydration from diarrhea: Guidelines for developing a national polic. (2005) Available from: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2005/ WHO_CDD_93.44.pdf