K. Nalini Devi, Juliana Shanthi Rosy
K. Nalini Devi1*, Juliana Shanthi Rosy2
1M.Sc (N), Professor, Muzaffarnagar Nursing Institute, Muzaffarnagar, U.P.
2Principal, Droan College of Nursing, Rudrapur, Uttarakhand.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
The ECMO machine is similar to the heart-lung by-pass machine used in open-heart surgery. It pumps and oxygenates a patient's blood outside the body, allowing the heart and lungs to rest. When the patient is connected to an ECMO, blood flows through tubing to an artificial lung in the machine where saturation of oxygen and removal of carbon dioxide takes place, then the blood is warmed to body temperature and pumped back into the body. This technology provides prolonged cardiac and respiratory support when all other forms of heart and lung support have failed to provide an adequate amount of gas exchange or perfusion to sustain life. Now, the treatment is being used to support in patients with Covid-19 pneumonia for whom ventilation is insufficient to sustain blood oxygen levels.
Cite this article:
K. Nalini Devi, Juliana Shanthi Rosy. ECMO therapy for COVID-19. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(2):299-301. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00072.0
K. Nalini Devi, Juliana Shanthi Rosy. ECMO therapy for COVID-19. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(2):299-301. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2021.00072.0 Available on: https://ajner.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-2-32
1. CDC. 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Wuhan, China. CDC. Available at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html. January 26, 2020; Accessed: January 27, 2020.
2. Gallegos A. WHO Declares Public Health Emergency for Novel Coronavirus. Medscape Medical News. Available at https:// www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924596. January 30, 2020; Accessed: January 31, 2020.
3. Ramzy A, McNeil DG. W.H.O. Declares Global Emergency as Wuhan Coronavirus Spreads. The New York Times. Available at https://nyti.ms/2RER70M. January 30, 2020; Accessed: January 30, 2020.
4. The New York Times. Coronavirus Live Updates: W.H.O. Declares Pandemic as Number of Infected Countries Grows. The New York Times. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/2020/ 03/11/world/coronavirus-news.html#link-682e5b06. March 11, 2020; Accessed: March 11, 2020.
5. Coronavirus Updates: The Illness Now Has a Name: COVID-19. The New York Times. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/ 2020/02/11/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html. February 11, 2020; Accessed: February 11, 2020.
6. WHO Director-General's remarks at the media briefing on 2019-nCoV on 11 February 2020. Available at https://www.who.int/ dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-2019-ncov-on-11-february-2020. February 11, 2020; Accessed: February 13, 2020.
7. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: Available from: https:// www.ucsfhealth.org/treatments/extracorporeal-membrane-oxygenation
8. Guillermo Martinez, MD, Alain Vuylsteke, MD FRCA FFICM. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in adults. Continuing Education in Anaesthesia Critical Care and Pain. 2012 April; 12(2): 57–61: Available from: https://academic.oup.com/bjaed/ article/12/2/57/251128
9. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in adults: Aug26, 2020: Available from: https://www.middleeastmedicalportal.com/ an-introduction-to-understanding-extracorporeal-membrane-oxygenation-ecmo-in-adults/
10. ExtracorporealMembraneOxygenation (ECMO): Available from: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/treatments/extracorporeal-membrane-oxygenation
11. A family guide to ECMO|University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics: Available from: https://uihc.org/health-topics/family-guide-ecmo
12. What is ECMO? American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine; 193(6): P9–P10: Available from: https:// www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/what-is-ecmo.pdf
13. FDA Approves ECMO to Treat COVID-19 Patients:Available from: https://www.dicardiology.com/article/fda-approves-ecmo-treat-covid-19-patients
14. “Surviving Sepsis Campaign COVID-19 Guidelines.” Society of Critical Care Medicine. Available at: https://sccm.org/ SurvivingSepsisCampaign/Guidelines/COVID-19. Accessed March 25, 2020.
15. Zeng Y, Cai Z, Xianyu Y, et al. Prognosis when using extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for critically ill COVID-19 patients in China: A retrospective case series. Crit Care. 2020; 24(1): 148. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
16. Ramanathan K, Antognini D, Combes A, et al. Planning and provision of ECMO services for severe ARDS during the COVID-19 pandemic and other outbreaks of emerging infectious diseases. Lancet Respir Med 20208: 518–526 [PMC free article] [Pub Med] [Google Scholar
17. ELSO: COVID-19 Cases on ECMO in the ELSO Registry. https:// www.elso.org/COVID19.aspx. Accessed April 5, 2020.
18. Suneel Kumar poobani, ECMO in India, SWAAC ELSO: challenges and solutions.Indian journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery 2020 Sep 9 : 1–7